Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Powell

hello from South Lanarkshire
« on: 10/10/2016 at 16:23 »
I've fished off and on since the late 50's.... ( :X2)
Started with my father at the north London Walthamstow Reservoirs - mostly spinning  for perch. 
We made rods from WW2 army tank aerials. cork rings for grips and did our own whippings. Mum made the rod bags - none of the tackle mega-stores back then.!

Dad retired to Wales - to a riverside cottage with rights (fly only)
When I saw how lightly he travelled, I dumped ALL my reservoir kit and started fly fishing
After he died, I found a beautiful Sharpes Scottie 10'6 cane rod in the loft (sea-trout.?) - never saw him use it.. ???

I fish the Upper Avon; and will start again after a 3 year gap due to illness - fully recovered now.
getting all my kit out of storage for some TLC and line replacements

anyway - lotsa questions to follow as I'm intrigued by the Scottie.....................john

Mike Barrio

Re: hello from South Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: 10/10/2016 at 16:52 »
Hi John ...... welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 10/10/2016 at 22:23 »
Hi John and welcome. I too made a tank aerial rod as a lad. It took a permanent bend on a lively pike :z6
Enjoy your comeback and hope you give the Scottie a swish or two.

John Powell

« Reply #3 on: 10/10/2016 at 23:15 »
Hi John and welcome. I too made a tank aerial rod as a lad. It took a permanent bend on a lively pike :z6
Enjoy your comeback and hope you give the Scottie a swish or two.....

thanks ... i still have Dads spinning reel somwhere - a Mitchel
he fished with 1 river rod all his life - a cane rod with a greenheart tip made in Alnwick
I now have 6 rods and a dozen reels - i think we had more fun back in the day....:)

I'll be asking here about using the Scottie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2016 at 09:48 »
Started with my father at the north London Walthamstow Reservoirs - mostly spinning  for perch. 

I also started there, along with the Lea at Waltham Abbey and various Essex gravel pits and ponds, but in the 70's ;)

Still head back now and again for a trip down memory lane....and still use a Sharpes 10 foot rod...all be it a cane carp rod :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com