Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Howard & Stuart

Lochter Report - Autumnal Feel in the Air!
« on: 03/10/2016 at 11:10 »

The past couple of mornings have had a distinctive feel of autumn to them. There has been a touch of what TV weather forecasters call grass frost.

It has been necessary to unearth the scraper to clear the car windscreen and a visit has been made to the garden center to purchase a new lightweight (the old one was awfully heavy) leaf vacuum.

The water temperature at Lochter Fishery in Oldmeldrum has dropped to 11’C which is very comfortable for the trout who relish the cooler conditions and become much more actrive.

Graeme Garioch from Dyce found plenty of active fish on his recent visit and recorded an impressive score of nineteen using the appropriately named Sir Alec Ferguson Fly.

Also finding plenty of fish hitting the back of his landing net was Gilbert Cheethan Jnr while Cliff Collie from Ellon’s cat whisker was spot on allowing him to grass seventeen.

It was nice to see the Frigate Bar anglers back in action. Mike Frost using a yellow dancer played a stormer keeping three and returning five.

Lures have been favored during the past week with buzzers well worth a cast in the middle of the day when things have warmed up resulting in hatches of flies.

This is likely to be the pattern as long as the good weather remains.  :z18

Liam Stephen

Re: Lochter Report - Autumnal Feel in the Air!
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2016 at 16:40 »
Aye it's getting trickier! Tough day yesterday but this fish made up for it. I was targeting something that looked big (around 5lb) in the margins when an absolute tank came in to view. It dwarfed the fish I was targeting.  A quick flick his way saw him mosey on over to the fly and suck it down.

It measured 25" from nose to fork and I wish I had been able to measure it's girth. He was fat and broad! Taken on the mighty 376 and size 20 Hares Ear.

:z18
Liam

Liam Stephen

Re: Lochter Report - Autumnal Feel in the Air!
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2016 at 19:02 »
Here's a better pic I've just been sent. Please excuse my funny mug I was being silly!  :z4 :z7

:z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com