Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

net materials
« on: 03/10/2016 at 09:25 »
Already dreaming of April and I get to thinking about nets

This year I have noticed a few different kinds of net on the river bank and having found (as I was told by a few people) that the standard net in the Macleans is a pain for twisting, I can also add that decent size fish, like to get their teeth into it as well :X2

so with these specific issues in mind I started looking about for a different kind of net (I might even be persuaded back to a wooden racket style, which I love but was too small), as I have found a proper sized one that is available :z12 (or might even venture to try making my own one)

so my main question is has anyone tried/experience of/own the Brodin style nets :z8

this looks like a good solution and is environmentally friendly too, my only issue was how it would sit when against your back

Or do any of you have info on some of the others that are out there, I know I have seen a few of you with different solutions this year, it would be nice to hear any feedback

Cheers

Sandy

Will Shaw

Re: net materials
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2016 at 12:52 »
Hey Sandy

You can get a replacement rubber mesh for your Macleans. They're good and you keep the optimum size of the Mac, and the weigh-net thingy if that's important to you.

Cheers

W.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2016 at 13:25 »
Cheers Will

I've kinda wrecked the Macleans this year :X1 (mainly with bushes and trees) so was pondering a new net completely, or overhauling the Mac.
I thought the weighing bit was a great idea, but hardly ever use it as I don't like taking the fish out of the water and I worry about the mesh against their sides if I do lift them up, so have been perusing some alternatives

I like this one

but it looks like the UK Fishpond dealers don't have them, so it would be an import job, Cool though, carbon fibre and I like techie stuff :z12

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 04/10/2016 at 16:44 »
Sandy  :z16

I was looking at similar in Orvis over the weekend I think they are Brodins anyway, very nice but with a price to match.

The only thing that puts me off them is the net bags on them seem pretty shallow and quite stiff. This meaning that if you get a big clever trout it might be able to use this to its advantage, i.e bounce/kick its way out.  :z8

I know that my biggie on the 376 a while back would have managed to do so had it been in a slightly bigger net.

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 06/10/2016 at 12:04 »
Great stuff ....... so I'm not the only one still looking for the ideal net then :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 08/10/2016 at 20:59 »
I have a solution  :z12

And its being made for me :z16

So we shall see if it works

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com