Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Which sinking line?
« on: 15/09/2016 at 14:19 »
Hi all. I have never had a sinking line that I have enjoyed using.  Tried a few 'big name' lines in various densities inc shooting heads.
I don't want a heavy line - maybe a 5 or 6 fast sinker, to use from a boat on reservoirs.  Can I draw on your experience please?

Rob Brownfield

Re: Which sinking line?
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2016 at 16:02 »
I use the Airflo Sniper lines for Pike, and have never had an issue, even on cold days when the guides are icing up. The Sniper only goes down to a WF8, but the Forty Plus line it is based on goes down to a #5.

I find the lines are very good, although I am not sure how they would be with teams of flies as they are effectively a shooting head.

Airflo do a few sinkers and I would expect them all to perform well.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2016 at 21:37 »
hi TC,
though not rated as fast sinkers Barrio SLX I and GT 90 I  in 'fast' intermediates are available in a 2,5-3 inch per second sink rate, effectively making them S 2,5/3 sinkers and they're also available in 5 or 6 wt.
these lines are very pleasant to cast and fish, just perfect for loch fishing.
you can't go wrong  :z16
cheers,
marc

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2016 at 09:29 »
Thanks Marc - I already use a Mallard #5 sink tip to good effect in the right conditions. It's as good as the floater to cast.
The reason I wanted a fast sinker was to try out teams using this popping booby and sredge mullarky.  Don't know whether a fastish sink tip would have the same effect?  I would certainly buy Barrio if possible - all my lines are now Barrio. :z12

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 16/09/2016 at 10:03 »
hi TC
sink tips and full sinkers won't have the same fly depth control.

- sink tips always have a floating rear end of the line's head, meaning that every time you retrieve your flies they will we come closer to the surface and not stay at the same depth as they where before. they sortof do a zig-zagging up and down motion during the retrieve, specially when there are pauses during the retrieve.
pause =sink / retrieve =rise

- full sinkers of any kind including intermediates will eventually sink to the bottom just like a fast sinker only a bit slower. retrieves are more on a level direction back to the angler. this keeps the flies in the same depth/feeding zone.
retrieve = same depth tracking of line and flies

i hope that makes sense ? let us know  :z16
cheers,
marc

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 16/09/2016 at 10:29 »
Sorry Marc - I thought you were talking about sink tips - my fault - an age thing.  Yes I understand about the sinker vs sink tip.  Just ordered a #7 brown. Gone for the #7 in case I have to use a biggish lure.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 16/09/2016 at 16:47 »
getting close to the old fart stage in life myself, i can relate...  :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 16/09/2016 at 16:58 »
Thanks guys ...... line is on the way :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 17/09/2016 at 16:24 »
Arrived this morning and on the reel within minutes all ready for a try out.  Felt very supple when spooling up.  See how it fishes on Monday. Thanks Mike.

Terry Coging

« Reply #9 on: 20/09/2016 at 09:58 »
Tried the line out yesterday.  3 of us had a blank morning on floaters with the usual nymphs, mini lures etc. Thought I would see how the new sinker matched a Scierra rod rated #7/8 that I rarely use (preferring lighter stuff). Excellent match and  a couple of false casts shoots the booby 25 yds into the wind .  Line dead straight first time off the reel. Pulled booby under then let it rise. Forth  pull and 'bang' a 4lb + rainbow! What a great way to Christen a line.  Had 4 more and my faith with sinking lines has returned. Found the line easy to control in the air and it shoots a dream. Thank Mike and Marc  :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 20/09/2016 at 10:45 »
Really pleased that you like your line Terry :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 20/09/2016 at 11:55 »
 :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 22/09/2016 at 10:14 »
On a big reservoir boat fishing yesterday. Nothing doing on the floater again so tried the Barrio #7 SLXi sinker.  8 fish. Best return of the day from 10 boats and a dozen bank rods.  A lot of blanks.  So must pursue this sinking line lark a bit more.  I have two problems with sinking lines though, even with the excellent Barrio.  I get bored and tired. Just coming up for 78 so whacking a #7 sinker out all day is not really on.  I manage for an hour or so, then revert back to a #5 floater for a rest and  a more pleasant experience. But if the fish only respond to the sinker, so be it.
I am considering a #5 SLXi brown to ease the casting over long periods. Does anyone use this line to cast light lures a reasonable distance? I suspect that I would need a crisper action '5 rod to handle the sinker too? Used shooting heads in the past but got fed up with joints and doing 'cats cradles' with my feet in the boat.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 22/09/2016 at 10:34 »
The #5 will be fine on any #5 rod Terry and will handle light lures well.  Might possibly be an idea to try backing off a bit with the #7 first, only casting a relaxed and comfortable distance?

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 22/09/2016 at 15:42 »
i completely agree with Mike, Terry   :z16
the actual weight difference between a 5wt and 7wt, both rod and fly line is just a few wee grams.
sure, the 7 will feel a bit 'heavier' but that 'heavy' is mostly in the mind.
 this is very common among casters of all levels and i don't have a clue as for the why...   ZX2
(actually, my thoughts go towards the higher-rated rod being usually thicker than a lighter rod and that extra 'weight' felt is air resistance as the rod is moved back and forth throughout the cast. but again, that's just a thought)

so, back off the force, relax and think about smoooooooooooooth casting and you'll be just fine. promise  :z16
cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com