Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Forgue Trout Fishery
« on: 01/09/2016 at 20:16 »
Today's venue was a wee drive away but boy it was worth it. Me and my buddy Ash fished it a couple of weeks back and had reasonable success. Today the weather was perfect and I was armed with a box of fresh flies .

The fishery is more wild and unkept than those closer to home but I like it that way.  It has more of a natural feel to it if that is possible for a man made place.

Anyway back to the fishing. We started at 8am and fished on and off throughout the day till around 6pm. We landed close to 50 between us and probably lost another 20 or so. A mixed bag of Browns, Blues and Rainbows to keep things exciting and I landed my first definite double figure rainbows.  Ace!  :z14

Best methods for me were stalking with my small bugs and ceramics or plopping foam beetles near cover and/or  rising fish.

Yes it's a little bit further than other fisheries in the area but the water is still clear, weed growth isn't too bad and the quality of the fish is outstanding!

Give it a try!

Liam

Mike Barrio

Re: Forgue Trout Fishery
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/2016 at 21:57 »
Now there's a blast from the past, haven't seen Bob & Pat for years ..... Did the Fiat get back up the hill OK Liam? :)

Probably couldn't find it nowadays as I think the red phone box has gone :z4

Cheers
Mike

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 01/09/2016 at 22:05 »
Used to fish the place a lot as a youth and had some great days. I used to walk the banks with a single pearly black buzzer and drop it onto trouts noses.

Thanks for reminding me Liam. I'll be sure to make a visit once tye salmon season is over :z16

:z18

Steven

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2016 at 19:16 »
Mike  :z16

Yeah the little Fiat made it but only just!  :z4

It is a bigger to find. Luckily I was following a mate with a SatNav.

Steven  :z16

Very much my preferred way to fish most fisheries these days. It's deadly when done properly.

No worries at all, maybe see you up there sometime!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 03/09/2016 at 03:44 »
Liam,

Aye we should definitely arrange a day out once the salmon season is over and done with.

Speaking of Fiat's they used to have an old skool Fiat Panda 4x4 that used to blast around the fishery at some rate of knots. I wouldn't mind buying one of them for a laugh tbh.

Cheers,

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2016 at 10:25 »
The new Pandas get good feedback Steven, was tempted to get one myself.

Cheers
Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2016 at 10:27 »
Sounds like a plan Steven!  :z16

They nice have pickup trucks to fly around in!

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2016 at 21:00 »
Was excellent Liam.

Hoping to get up there again soon  :z18

Ashley Thomas

Re: Forgue Trout Fishery New
« Reply #8 on: 10/10/2016 at 15:05 »
The 'Young Gun' and I decided the next visit to Forgue would be Yesterday, so after some dodgy sat-nav directions along with dirt-track roads we finally arrived to fish it. It was good to see a lot more fishers chucking fluff at Forgue this time around, with about 10 others there already fishing. It really is a diamond in the rough, and to be honest, it's my favourite loch to fish around here.

We started at 12pm and fished till 6, with us having a near 40 fish between us  :z18

At start, the unheard of t-shirt weather in October was proving tricky - the fish were there, but just weren't in the mood. We tried plopping foam beetles, ceramics and the trusty stalking bugs on their noses.. but they just weren't satisfied. Even the confidence in my size 10 grasshopper that took 10 last time around was beginning to drop rapidly!

Liam finally broke the deadlock, and after then it was plain sailing. Some very nice fish to be had, including this belter of a rainbow for Liam:

It's true to say that near every fish we've had since fishing Forgue has been absolutely immaculate.

It's certainly worth a go, a bit of a drive for some - but just £10 for a whole day you certainly won't be disappointed!  :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 10/10/2016 at 15:31 »
Ashley's video link :cool:

from Ashley Thomas on Vimeo.

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #10 on: 10/10/2016 at 16:19 »
Thanks Mike,

Still finding my toddler feet in this forum  :z2

Ash

Liam Stephen

« Reply #11 on: 10/10/2016 at 18:25 »
Nice one Ash!

Trust you to post the video where I slip!  :z7 :z4

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #12 on: 10/10/2016 at 21:38 »
Nice one Ash!

Trust you to post the video where I slip!  :z7 :z4

hahaha  :z7 I must say it's an elegant slip. I have one of you totally falling in the Don still to post  :X2

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 12/10/2016 at 11:28 »
More comedy from the Young gun  :z16

Very much missing your true vocation  :z4 :z4

I have one or two I can add to that as well :wink

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 12/10/2016 at 11:35 »
Slipping a trout in the net?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com