Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Roger Hoad

High temperatures and fly lines
« on: 27/08/2016 at 11:16 »
This may well be something that Mike would like to answer.
I have had some issues with lines not casting on very hot days. It has always been Floating lines that have been affected and the temperature has been 30 C+. The problem is that they just wont shoot properly at these temperatures. Each time this has happened it has been on a first outing with a new rod which nearly ended up with me selling a new Hardy Jet Sintrix and would obviously have meant that I would have lost a fair bit of money on it.
I see that Airflo put a temperature range on their lines and some Scientific Anglers lines state that they are suitable for moderate to warm waters but nothing more specific.

What temperaures are recommended for the Barrio lines? I have 2 Mallard sink tips. More to the point can you recommend a line that will perform in these conditions. I have a couple of Rio Gold's and don't seem to have had the problem with these so far.

Apologies to any members that may have already read my post on Flyfishing forums.co.uk. Does any body know what's happened to their site as I get a message saying that their server can't be found when I try to access it.

Roger 

Mike Barrio

Re: High temperatures and fly lines
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2016 at 11:48 »
Hi Roger ......... welcome to the forum :z16

Most UK fly lines and most  trout lines are 'cold water lines' and can be affected on very hot days. As long as the water temperature is reasonable they shouldn't be too bad as long as you keep them in the water and wet. The affects are obviously more noticeable if you are doing some casting practice on grass, as there is no water to cool them down.

Tropical lines tend to be harder and stiffer to compensate for this, but then you will start to have problems with line memory at normal temperatures with a tropical line.

Best wishes
Mike

Roger Hoad

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2016 at 14:03 »
Thanks Mike,
I think the problem with floating lines may be that not enough of their surface is in contact with the water to cool them down plus I would guess that the surface of the water would possibly be considerably warmer than the deeper layers.

With the normal UK weather I doubt it will be a major problem and now that I'm aware of it I can take measures before fishing to counteract it such as keeping the reel in a cool box or dunking it in cold water prior to using it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2016 at 14:56 »
The Scientific Anglers fly line treatment works well in warmer weather in my experience ( use for floating lines only ) and helps with line shoot, but it won't stiffen a line obviously.

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com