Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Clip on magnifiers?
« on: 12/08/2016 at 17:31 »
I'm thinking about getting some clip on magnifiers ........ any recommendations?

Marc Fauvet

Re: Clip on magnifiers?
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2016 at 17:35 »
Mike there's two kinds: one that goes on a cap's bill and one that clips to eyewear.
if you want the latter i'll send you my pair. they're new and i'll never use them. i believe they're 2X or 2.5X, not sure but it might be written on them if i find them....  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2016 at 17:43 »
Thanks Marc ...... I've just ordered some that clip on a hat :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Will Shaw

« Reply #3 on: 12/08/2016 at 23:09 »
Flip focal available via Orvis. Can't fish without them!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2016 at 00:58 »
Thanks Will ...... I'll try these too :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 15/08/2016 at 08:06 »
I just look over the top of my glasses and hold the fly an inch from my nose...works for me ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 15/08/2016 at 08:20 »
I just look over the top of my glasses and hold the fly an inch from my nose...works for me ;)

I would need to hold the fly at about 3 arm lengths from my nose Rob  :z4  :z4  :z4

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #7 on: 15/08/2016 at 18:59 »
Guys,

Do you think the hat clip on ones are the best bet? My eyesight even with my contacts in is getting worse-the summer tiny dry flies with 3lb nylon is just becoming a trial and error to try to eye and knot.
Need some mag lol.

Grant

Will Shaw

« Reply #8 on: 15/08/2016 at 22:01 »
I've been using the clip-ons for about 7 or 8 years now. They're brilliant. Used with a baseball cap, you quickly forget they're there. When you need them just flip down. Good for helping you identify bugs too! 👍

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 16/08/2016 at 08:58 »
Received the ones I ordered from Ebay ..... interesting, I am not sure that the manufacturer has quite grasped what these are actually used for, but they look good in the photos :z4

Ordered the Orvis ones from their .co.uk website on saturday and received an email last night to say they're being shipped from the USA ..... maybe they don't sell many of these in the UK :z8

Looking forward to being able to compare the two.

Will Shaw

« Reply #10 on: 16/08/2016 at 22:45 »
If they're in stock then even from the states you should get them inside 10 days Mike.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 23/08/2016 at 21:26 »
I have used the magnifiers for tying on flees... useful.

Alternatively... the last couple of outings i've re-discovered using the C&F fly threaders for getting small flies onto the tippet - definitely worth a try for overcoming fading eyesight. I thread a few flees onto a threader before leaving the house, then it's easy to transfer them onto the tippet even in the gloom. You've still got to tie the knot on the fly mind you, so it's not the total solution!

i,

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 23/08/2016 at 23:20 »
Hi Iain,

Andrew sent me a threading tool ( thanks Andrew :z16 ) which works great with a bit of practice, but it is actually more the knots that I've been struggling with, mainly in the evening.

The Orvis Flip Focals have arrived and they're almost half the size of the 'elsewhere made version' that I had also ordered ..... you can flip this under your cap without needing to remove a couple of inches from your forehead first :z4 and the magnification seems about right, so I'm looking forward to trying it on the river :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 24/08/2016 at 13:20 »
Can't fish without them, my ones come from Snowbee and I think they are fantastic.  Thankfully I can still count the leaves on trees from a mile away so spotting fish is not the problem  :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com