Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

A day on the Upper Beauly with Euan
« on: 25/07/2016 at 09:32 »
I was fortunate to have some fishing come my way on the Upper Beauly last week, at a favourable daily rate, and after some phoning around/messaging etc three of us were booked for the Monday.
Unfortunately our 'third' rod had to drop out at the last minute so it was left to Euan and I to do our best. We soldiered on.....

We were on the lower half of the beats in the morning, which suited me as my favourite pool is on that section. Not long after we started Euan had a nice Brownie of about 2lbs which christened his new Salmon rod nicely, the way that rod bent made me think he was maybe into a Grilse. It became clear we were losing water rapidly and as part of a hydro system that's not surprising, they can go up and down like a bloody yo-yo at times. I walked around to get up to the head of the pool where I'd seen a decent fish move...... just as my 'prototype' fly swung round everything locked up and all hell broke lose. I shouted on Euan who made his way upstream and courtesy of his camera:

I was glad I upped to my 13'7" Mackenzie Atlas, the rod I had used earlier might have struggled as this fish was having none of it.....

I have never - I do mean never - had a Salmon spend as much time in the air as this fish, Euan caught this cracking piccie:

After a spectacular fight from a strong fish this was the reward:

And released successfully back to the river:

It was a great day but the river did that whole yo-yo thing and whilst we both touched other fish during the day, this was the only Salmon landed.
Great day, great company  :z16

H

Mike Barrio

Re: A day on the Upper Beauly with Euan
« Reply #1 on: 25/07/2016 at 09:46 »
Great stuff Hamish :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 25/07/2016 at 11:03 »
Aye, it was indeed a great day, and well done H.  :z14
True to form though the river yo-yoed during the day and as we were having lunch the level rose a foot and a half and even thoughfish were moving they were not interested in what we were chucking at them.
Hamish mentioned that he had never had a day on the Upper that all the rods took a fish. I got the only one last year and he the only one this year. Next year we will fix that!
The Upper Beauly is the BEST beat I have ever fished for salmon. The wading is excellent, the scenery incredible and every pool screams fish. We must try and get on it more  :z13

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 25/07/2016 at 22:25 »
We must try and get on it more  :z13

I have a cunning plan for that, no turnips required.......

H :z7

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 01/08/2016 at 20:00 »
Great stuff lads  :z16 looked like a nice bit of water.

:z18

Jim

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 01/08/2016 at 23:03 »
Great stuff lads  :z16 looked like a nice bit of water.

:z18

Jim

Jim, it is the BEST bit of salmon river I have ever fished, and I have fished a lot of water. I might even go so far to say it is almost perfect, but it loses a point for only one of the party scoring during each visit.... :z4

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com