Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

benbryant

Haddo trout fishery project
« on: 03/11/2007 at 22:59 »
Hello to Mike and all on the forum,

Some may be aware that i carried out an experiment in to the effect of dissolved oxygen and water temperature on rainbow trout catch at the fishery this summer. I am currently working very hard on the statistical side of the dissertation now, but thought i would let you know some interesting facts i have discovered whilst looking at the data from previous years...

> The percentage of people catching nothing on their tickets has gone from 19.55% - 2003, 18.11% - 2004, 9.60% - 2005 and finally 5.71% in 2006, i think this speaks volumes for the fishery it's self but also for the anglers and their judgement on how to fish and the tactics to use.

> Throughout this four year timescale, i have looked at the average fish totals for five anglers in particular, including (chris mcalister, hamish young, jim aidie, keith crocket, kevin neri) the average over the four years is (10.94, 13.92, 10.93, 15.53, 15.59) respectively. Some interesting values i thought!!! :z4

Well just thought i would let you in on a tiny part of the study.

Kind regards

Ben Bryant

Hamish Young

Re: Haddo trout fishery project
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2007 at 01:06 »
Interesting stuff Ben - I'd be intrigued to read your whole disertation when it's ready/done  :z16

How sad am I  :?  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2007 at 08:58 »
Ben,
I have done a lot of work on the effects of dissolved oxygen and its effect on Pike and Carp.

Are you looking at things like depths, temperatures, air pressure etc?

we used an oxygen meter on a pole and went out on a water and spent a whole day recording temps and O2 readings with some interesting results. We went back in the winter to find things totally different in the mid levels, but identical in deeper parts. All very interesting stuff.

I only brushed a little on the effects on feeding, although certainly in the winter, many of the fish hold up over deep water, but hang a few feet down, just on or below the thermocline. They will then feed in the upper layers for brief periods and go back to the thermocline to rest and digest there food, which, i am sure you know, takes longer in the cold.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2007 at 00:07 »
Thanks for the feedback Ben :z16

I'm looking forward to reading the project

Best wishes
Mike

benbryant

« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2007 at 13:05 »
Hi Rob,

I am indeed looking at the effects with water temperature and air temperature, also weather conditions and barometric pressure. As you are probobly aware mikes loch is reasonably shallow throughout, except for the "hole" as i call it, where there is more depth, i took some readings at depth there, and there was a marked decline in O2 with depth, as well as a decline in temperature. I think thats the reason the Arctic char prefer to carry out activity there in the summer! It's great that you have carried out work in that area too, wherabout did you carry out your experiments, im sure pike and carp are quite contrasting fish with regards to there metabolism and requirements?

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com