Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Trout fishing in Brittany
« on: 16/07/2016 at 09:03 »
Brittany offers some excellent fishing at very reasonable prices.  A National license (about 80 euro) gives freedom to roam on almost all rivers for brown trout.  Visitors 14 day permits are about  32 euro.  An extra 50 euro for salmon.
I fish two stocked lakes in  the Monts du Aree region (highest moorland place in Brittany) for 30 euro per season.  Lac St Michel is a big wild reservoir of about 600 hectares and is stocked with rainbows up to 5kg (my best is 16lb), This is a peaty lake and is very much like an Irish Lough. The other lake is Lac du Drennec  at about 180 hectares. This is a pretty lake, gin clear and a bit more civilised, It holds native browns and stocked rainbows. This is a 'top of the water' lake and dry flies work well.
Can't wait to get back there next week to launch my petite bateau.

Hamish Young

Re: Trout fishing in Brittany
« Reply #1 on: 17/07/2016 at 06:35 »
It's a personal regret when my folks lived in Brittany my Dad and I never made it for a days fishing but his health prevented that from really happening.
Shame, because I liked the look of both Drennec and St Michel..... I like the look of the coastal Bass fishing even more but, again sadly, it didn't happen  :z10

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 17/07/2016 at 09:31 »
It's a personal regret when my folks lived in Brittany my Dad and I never made it for a days fishing but his health prevented that from really happening.
Shame, because I liked the look of both Drennec and St Michel..... I like the look of the coastal Bass fishing even more but, again sadly, it didn't happen  :z10

Hamish - it would be my pleasure to take you on either lake should you visit Brittany again. I am not a pro guide but I like sharing my boat occasionally.  There are a couple of pro guides available locally. One of them took me out 11 years ago and that memorable trip prompted me to buy a boat to keep out there.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2016 at 09:54 »
Front cover of this months Trout Fisherman shows Philippe Dolivet's lovely Irish built boat on Lac du Drennec. 
Phil's boat is the only one for hire and usually there are no other boats out. Not exactly crowded! He has a small tackle shop at his home so anyone can turn up and buy essentials or or hire a full kit. He also provides licenses. He speaks excellent English as does the chef at the lakeside restuarant - a brilliant little tucked away place  and prices are very reasonable.  Launch my boat there so very handy.

Caught a few on dries last time up there.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com