Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bobinalong

Not sure how to cope with this.
« on: 12/07/2016 at 15:54 »
I have a Mallard DT 3 fly line and needed to swop it end for end on the reel. However, the bitter end, as referred to in anchor chain speak, is coiled like a spring. How do I go about straitening it, without damaging the line?
Or do I need to replace it.?
Caught a 2lb wild brownie on it today from the Darent, not sure how he missed seeing the corkscrew line - but he did. ;-)

Mike Barrio

Re: Not sure how to cope with this.
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2016 at 16:30 »
Try pulling it through a gripped damp cloth a few times. If that doesn't help then I would suggest a new line is probably best.

Best wishes
Mike

bobinalong

« Reply #2 on: 12/07/2016 at 18:50 »
Thanks Mike, I will give that a go.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2016 at 10:04 »
I have a Mallard DT 3 fly line and needed to swop it end for end on the reel. However, the bitter end, as referred to in anchor chain speak, is coiled like a spring. How do I go about straitening it, without damaging the line?
Caught a 2lb wild brownie on it today from the Darent, not sure how he missed seeing the corkscrew line - but he did. ;-)

Mike might be able to advise on this, but I have dunked coiled lines in hand hot water for 15-20 minutes before straightening the way mike suggests. Worked a treat. If the line is not straightening and you are thinking of binning it, then the hot water trick might be worth trying. Good luck

bobinalong

« Reply #4 on: 14/07/2016 at 12:40 »

Mike might be able to advise on this, but I have dunked coiled lines in hand hot water for 15-20 minutes before straightening the way mike suggests. Worked a treat. If the line is not straightening and you are thinking of binning it, then the hot water trick might be worth trying. Good luck

Thanks Mike. That seems to have done the trick. ;-)

And thank you Rob for your suggestion. I guess if all else fails...............

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com