Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Dapping anyone?
« on: 12/07/2016 at 12:39 »
Always fancied doing a bit of dapping.  A pal recently showed me how successful it can on the right day.  He reckons that a better quality of fish can be tempted by this method - he should know, being head bailiff on a premier 'top of the water' reservoir.
So I started looking for a dapping rod and was not impressed with what was available, so I have bought a 6m telescopic pole and will whip rings on myself.  I have plenty of rings and real fittings in stock so a £17 pole is not a lot to experiment with.
Perhaps Mike could stock dapping floss so that we can buy confidently from someone that knows his stuff?

Advice/experiences appreciated. TC 

Mike Barrio

Re: Dapping anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2016 at 14:10 »
Mike doesn't know his stuff when it comes to dapping  :z8

Hamish on the other hand ......................................

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 12/07/2016 at 17:44 »

Be interesting to see how you get on  :z16 I find most of the rods marketed as 'dapping' rods are just too brutal these days, on a suggestion from a chum I tried a telecopic 'bolognese' rod and haven't looked back since.
Bit of advice #1 - only use a rod length of dapping floss, no longer.
Bit of advice #2 - use a short 'leader' of around 18 inches.
Bit of advice #3 - use monofilament behind the dapping floss, I use stuff in the 20lb range - you want it to 'fly' but not be too soft.
Bit of advice #4 - there's not such a thing as too big a dapping fly  :wink
Bit of advice #5 - never, ever skimp on materials for dapping flies.
Bit of advice #6 - sod anything you've read or heard, if you see a fish turn on the fly...... STRIKE :! :! :! :!

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2016 at 08:02 »
Always fancied doing a bit of dapping.  A pal recently showed me how successful it can on the right day.  He reckons that a better quality of fish can be tempted by this method - he should know, being head bailiff on a premier 'top of the water' reservoir.
So I started looking for a dapping rod and was not impressed with what was available, so I have bought a 6m telescopic pole and will whip rings on myself.  I have plenty of rings and real fittings in stock so a £17 pole is not a lot to experiment with.
Perhaps Mike could stock dapping floss so that we can buy confidently from someone that knows his stuff?

Agreed, most dapping rods are cheap rubbish, however, Shimano do a range of rods that are suitable called "Bolognese" rods...no, honest, that's what they are called :)  They start at about £50 up to well over £200. They even do one specifically for trout. http://www.shimano-eu.com/content/eu/en/Home/products0/rods/telescopic/catana-dx-trout-gt.html or rhe full range here http://www.shimano-eu.com/content/eu/en/Home/products0/rods/telescopic.html

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2016 at 20:21 »
Used to Gillie at the Loch Maree hotel it was very popular there, some guests had a Bruce and walker Dapping rod, others had a Shakespeare Telescopic and some used their salmon rods ,the original rods seemed to Be whole cane, with a Built cane tip, some of the guests used 4mm nylon ribbon instead of floss, I got some Polypropylene floss which was better than the nylon stuff,the Nylon floss deteriorated fairly quickly in the sun    we tested some at only 6lbs BS after a couple of weeks use,what Hamish says about the lengths is right, I always thought it had been invented by gillies that were fed up with flies whizzing about their ears, I was in a boat when the Bow fisher put a fly in the arm of the  stern fisher, over my head, it's not something I would want to do easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com