Mike

sightbob

Re: Royal Salmon of Inverbervie?
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2007 at 19:19 »
prey tell us more mike, not all of us can read!! :shock :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2007 at 08:39 »
All I know is that I used to get free fishing in Bervie as I lived in the "Royal burgh" and therfore under some charter signed years ago i was allowed to fish for Salmon for free.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2007 at 19:37 »
All I know is that I used to get free fishing in Bervie as I lived in the "Royal burgh" and therfore under some charter signed years ago i was allowed to fish for Salmon for free.

That's it Rob ......... The Royal Charter of King David? :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 05/11/2007 at 22:13 »
Were you ever pulled up for "poaching" on the Bervie Rob ???

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2007 at 08:31 »
Never, but i did get asked to leave Bervie Bay when spinning for Sea Trout in the sea....by the local bobbie. Thing was, I was using small Abu Krills on 8 pound line and releasing the fish and the guys either side of me were ripping..good and proper..but they obviously slip the copper a few quid as they were left too it!!..lol.

salar35

« Reply #6 on: 06/11/2007 at 19:26 »
Surprised that Rob was turned away there for fishing with legal terminal tackle...................the norm is a lump of lead festooned with trebles on line and boat rod that would hold a man eating mako shark, and I suspect that he may have been "spragged" by the small clique of poachers for whom honest anglers just spoil the free for all atmosphere.

Under the current permit rules (and presumably because King Dave the Second's Royal Charter of 1342 grants free salmon fishing to the residents), locals get a free ticket while residents in the Mearns/OAPs/kids under 14 pay £1.00 and others from outwith pay £2.00 per day. The fishing's been abused for years and when you hear we Kincardineshire locals calling it "Bervie-style", we are not being complimentary.

The DDSFB bought out the "superior" netting station there from Joseph Johnston & Sons in June 2003 and straight away asked the Stoney angling association (as a responsible and hard working club) to take over the "inferior" rod-and-line administration on its behalf. The SDAA agreed to do so IF the Board could confirm that the terms of the 1342 Royal Charter where it refers to "red fish" had been superseded by modern salmon statute law, at least in relation to allowable fishing tactics!!!!!!

Assuming this to be the case (and the decision is imminent), the Stoney club will probably take over the fishings, subject to its members' say-so at AGM in December. At which time it will invite local Inverbervie anglers (as distinct from 'snigglers') on board to give them essential stakeholder status down there. And bid 'adieu' to anyone who refuses to turn away from fishing in a manner where the lure takes the fish rather than vice-versa. Hopefully all this will be in place in time for the 2008 season...........a spokesfishperson for the Bervie salmon and seatrout has already expressed absolute delight at this prospect.  Hope this helps explain fit's happening doon there.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 06/11/2007 at 19:50 »
Hi "salar35"

Welcome to the forum :z16

Thanks for a great first post with lots of interesting information.

From what you are saying, it looks like "honest" Inverbervie resident anglers will be able to continue to enjoy free fishing for salmon courtesy of King David's Royal Charter ........... and the "not so honest" will find themselves in the same kind of trouble that they would on any other water in Scotland :wink

Best wishes
Mike

salar35

« Reply #8 on: 06/11/2007 at 21:09 »
A spot-on analysis, Mike. Glad to be newly on board a :grin very user-friendly and well run forum - well done.

It's a nice change frae our Stoney club's chatroom, which in itself is a rather neat set-up..........if we regular chatters could only get more club members to use it! You can take a horse to water etc.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 06/11/2007 at 21:37 »
Yeah

Great post Salar, fills in much of the Blanks.
Fingers crossed it pans out accordingly :z16

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 06/11/2007 at 22:56 »
Very interesting stuff indeed, will wait for the outcome with anticipation  :z16

gunner100

« Reply #11 on: 06/11/2007 at 23:04 »
The SDAA I am sure is absolutely determined that if the Association is to become the manager under the DDSFB that it will be a fishery that all legal anglers will be welcome to fish. Locals, visitors and members. It is  a lovely stretch of water after all.

What they are attempting to do is ensure that no illegal methods are used, that modern C & R methods are in place , conserve stocks and ensure that the Bervie has a long tem future as a habitat for Salmo Salar.

The old style of fishing at the mouth of the Brevie has to go!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 07/11/2007 at 08:50 »
The old style of fishing at the mouth of the Brevie has to go!!

Oh yes!!!!!... It was about the only place around these parts that i could fly fish in the sea for them..wonderful!

gunner100

« Reply #13 on: 07/11/2007 at 20:48 »
Rob,

You will still be able to fish the fly in the sea for salmon and sea trout in Bervie Bay if the SDAA take on the fishings subject to getting  a ticket. I don't think that is  a change from the old system in Bervie Bay when you had to get a ticket from the council office. It is only illegal methods , principally " ripping " with lead weighted trebles which will be banned if the SDAA take over the fishings. Ripping is already banned but with the "Stoney" club  monitoring it, there will  be some policing of such illegal activities.

The SDAA has the salmon and sea trout fishing rights in Stonehaven Bay where all legal methods are already allowed. including fly fishing. Indeed, fly fishing for salmon and sea trout iin the Bay is a very popular activity in the Assn. Many members fish Stonehaven Bay with the fly with total approval of the Association. Please have a look at their website, www.stonehavenangling.com to see what is available. You can join the SDAA for £50 per year and if the SDAA do take over the Bervie fishings you will also be able to legally fish Stonehaven Bay.

Best regards,

Lyall 

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 08/11/2007 at 08:29 »
Lyall,
Alas I will not be able to become a member these days as i no longer live within the catchment area.  :z6 I was a member for around 8 years in the mid 80's/early 90's and my best fish was a lice covered sea trout of just under 8 pounds that took me out the pool below the road bridge, under the foot bridge and half was along the beach! Wonderful :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com