Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Stewart

Electric Outboards Advice
« on: 07/07/2016 at 11:57 »
Morning Fishing Fraternity.

I have done the old search through and read a few interesting articles on here relating to outboards but when posting it advised me to start a new thread so here we go.

Having been fishing with my pals I have come to enjoy the freedom of an electric outboard as well as the laziness lets be honest (once you get it to the water). It is top for bigger waters such as Loch Lee where the wind can cause sizeable waves and sometimes has been necessary when combined with rowing to make headway back from a drift if a squall has come through.

I am bamboozled by the vast array of options e.g. thrust power (now we all know we like a bit of macho bigger is better) but is it really? I have read you need around 5lb of thrust for every 100kg, but no idea if that applies to Scottish Lochs!
Also so many makes and models out there across the price range.
Any advice is greatly appreciated and experience of types is also appreciated. My experience is limited to Shakespeare electrics.

Next part is batteries but maybe that is another thread entirely. Gotta be a leisure battery agreed but is again bigger better, or better to take two batteries into the shower? Sorry dad jokes.

Cheers in advance folks for any gems of knowledge or experience to save me spending money in the wrong areas.  :z14  :z16

Derek Roxborough

Re: Electric Outboards Advice
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/2016 at 15:42 »
I have the Shakey 44lb thrust but , as a 75Ah battery weighs 30kg, the 110 kg will weigh near 45kg , the smaller battery does me for our small local lochs. I get about 2 hours actual running, pushing a bigger Pioner boat , but I use it for dodging about not for long runs, the battery was dearer than the out board bought from Halfords, the bigger out board would have a bigger drain on the Battery, I have had a look at Lithium Batteries but the price is out of this world, about  £400+ good luck on your choice, easgach 1

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2016 at 15:59 »
I've a 45lb thrust minn Kota, does fine at rescobie, Monikie etc. I've used it at Loch Lee BUT if you get a blow on Loch Lee you really need a petrol outboard. The battery is in some ways more important than the motor, get a decent one and something like a Ctek charger to keep it in good condition. I had a 75amp then went to 110 which is far far better.
Try Dave Anderson in Tayport for a motor if you haven't bought one yet, he keeps Yamaha in stock and has spares for them, good guy and very helpful.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2016 at 21:14 »
I agree with the battery advice but if you have to carry any distance it is a lot easier to carry the 75 amp job, even that is heavier than the outboard, unless you have willing sherpah,   :X2 easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 08/07/2016 at 08:25 »
Sound council, the battery is as (if not more :!) important than the actual engine.

Personally I would opt for the biggest battery and outboard combination - you don't have to use all the power - and I would be looking at the deep cycle batteries in Go Outdoors, their 110Ah deep cycle battery is is use by someone I know for his electric outboard - £75 and he gets plenty of running out of it.

However, although I'm happy enough to use an electric outboard where I either have no choice or as a spare, I would not put my faith in one to get me upwind in changing conditions on a bigger loch. A small 2 to 4 hp four stroke engine would make more sense in that respect.
You could always carry a spare battery.... but that's getting a tad weighty for a day afloat.

H :cool:

Iain Stewart

« Reply #5 on: 08/07/2016 at 10:12 »
Cheers lads, sound advice.
Will look into the petrol option too.  :z18

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 08/07/2016 at 10:51 »
I have 3 electric outboards for when my mates visit.  Took 2 cheapo's up to Assynt this year - a 38lb and a 55lb thrust. £110 and £120 each. Batteries were 110AH and 80AH deep cycle. for about £60 and £50 ea.  The 55lb thrust only gave about 2 hours running on Loch Cam including a run from one end to the other into a stiff breeze.  The 38lb had a similar range but about 2mph slower. The problem that surfaced was the poor shear pin location in the plastic injection moulded prop. Reverse virtually failed with the shear pin only partially locating. I checked my other motor - a Shakespear 34lb thrust that is 8 years old and used regularly - the prop design is much more solid.  I would not risk the electric o/b on Veyetie with a strong blow down the Loch, so hired a petrol. 
I had a Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke for a while and regret selling that lovely little engine. 
Hope my experiences help. TC
ps - a good way to get a high quality deep cycle battery is to have a look in the farmers shops for a 'Shepherds Friend' = electric fencing battery.  Had one for years and didn't cost much.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 08/07/2016 at 11:29 »
A wee 4 stroke outboard would always be my choice :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 08/07/2016 at 14:21 »
you have to remember there are fisheries that  only allow electric o/boards, as I previously posted you don't want to carry 30kg of battery and the Motor plus your gear very far, it's fine if you are stepping off a landing onto the boat, but there are places where we have to carry gear a couple of 100yds, I have had my motor for 5 years, with few problems, ( I clipped a rock in reverse and lost the prop ,Doh!) don't worry I know exactly where it is, I had a Seagull featherweight before and it was a super motor , but the wife didn't like the fumes in the car, again it's horses for courses  :z12 easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com