Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fly Rod Design by Paul Arden New
« on: 06/07/2016 at 09:33 »
Fly rod design of the Sexyloops Hot Torpedo ..........

Derek Roxborough

Re: Fly Rod Design by Paul Arden
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2016 at 22:14 »
watched this with almost total incomprehension, maybe I'm just thick but  do we need another rod type I did notice he was in need of a decent fly line seeing the coils of his first one, and the midgies must have been bad, seeing how much he was scratching,all I could get from it (nice enough video) was that he liked a rod with a through action (as do I), the rods I have (home built) do all I ask of them, and some times I can even catch fish,  :z12 easgach 1

Tom Benson

« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2016 at 12:05 »

Sir, ( where I'm from , that is an insult ). must reply to your post. But first must state an interest in the subject : Paul is a friend !
         Regarding the video , your comments , of your right , are well stated. However, I disagree. Having had the opportunity to
        try the ... the 6 wt & 4 wt & the proto 5 wt, must say I was greatly impressed. Intend buying his 4wt ; underlining it with my
        Rio 3 wt . ( floater ). Then when funds allow ; an 8 wt. Thus making my Sage ,,, 8wt & my method 6 wt . & my etc.
             Just a small & helpful  contra. thought.           Tom

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2016 at 13:45 »
Good to see differing opinions :z4

A number of us are friends of Paul's Tom, I have a Hot Torpedo Competitor ..... serial number 001 :cool:

The video is interesting - and very much in Paul's style of doing things.

Cheers
Mike

Tom Benson

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2016 at 17:55 »

HI Mike, a thoughtful reply. Would not usually pass comment but, Paul,s rods are well designed & thoroughly tested.
                                              regards Tom       :z16 :z4 :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2016 at 18:17 »
I need another #4 like I need a hole in the head but strangely enough I want one of those. I better start saving I suppose.
Paul is indeed a wise man - I have known that 4 is the new 5 for a long time and that a DT4 is still the best thing since bread came pre-cut. :z4 :z4 :z4
But if I did get one I would have a hard time explaining to my Fario 9' #4 why she was being left in the rod room and not coming out to play.

Now to the video - During the first two minutes my professional side kicked in and I nearly wrote it off as sh1te but as Paul looks a lot like Captain Flint from Black Sails (Toby Stephens to save you Googling) and it was different from the usual American style of "this is the best rod ever, so help me God" I stuck with it. I am glad I did as the explanation of the flex of each section and how that affected the casting action and, more importantly, the fishing action,was very informative, quirky as it was. It was like talking to bloke down the pub.
The casting demo at the end was shiny  :z14 :z14 :z14

One thing though. The skeeters might not have been the only thing biting and I have heard that Malaysian crabs do give a nasty nip.... :z7
If Paul bought a better camera that would have been a 10/10.

:z2

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2016 at 20:26 »
nothing wrong with the Video, I see I am in a minority because I have no Idea who the guy is, also how many more rods that are the Ultimate casting tool will we see ? every one you see advertised has this attached,
by the way Tom  where I come from you aspire to become a "sir" but generally end up being a "cur"  :shock     easgach 1

Will Shaw

« Reply #7 on: 10/07/2016 at 09:00 »
Easgach has a very good point.

I watched Paul's vid from a perspective of knowing Paul (a little), trying his rods, and knowing his reference points. So I found it reasonably interesting.

However, looking at it from the POV of someone new to Paul and Sexyloops, the video doesn't really help much. If you come away thinking that Paul's rods are through-action you will be sorely disappointed - a major flaw in the vid. I'd say.

Cheers.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 10/07/2016 at 10:49 »
Paul casting the Barrio LC905 fly rod at the Sexyloops Scottish Gathering in 2010 :cool:

Not a million miles away from his current rod design ideas :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 10/07/2016 at 10:54 »
Easgach has a very good point.

I watched Paul's vid from a perspective of knowing Paul (a little), trying his rods, and knowing his reference points. So I found it reasonably interesting.

However, looking at it from the POV of someone new to Paul and Sexyloops, the video doesn't really help much. If you come away thinking that Paul's rods are through-action you will be sorely disappointed - a major flaw in the vid. I'd say.

Cheers.

Yes, I would agree with that Will :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 11/07/2016 at 13:57 »
Paul casting the Barrio LC905 fly rod at the Sexyloops Scottish Gathering in 2010 :cool:

Not a million miles away from his current rod design ideas :z4

I just read you post Mike, and realised that you are having us on as you mention "Scottish" but I could clearly see what I thought were "Cricketers" in the background of the photo. I now realise that they are men in white coats coming to take Paul away ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 11/07/2016 at 14:18 »
Photo was taken in Kintore Rob :cool:

Tom Benson

« Reply #12 on: 11/07/2016 at 15:02 »

Hi...... :z7 :z7 :z7 :z4 :z4 :z4

Tom Benson

« Reply #13 on: 12/07/2016 at 19:01 »

Hi Mike .. hope this is not off post ?
                                                                            P Arden , broke his existing BFCC record last Saturday!
                                                                            5wt. 134.01 ft...
                                                                              congrats.    Best of Casting in the 2017 World Championships

Tom  :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 12/07/2016 at 19:49 »
Hi Tom,

Yes, I heard about the Alconbury results, great casting  :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com