Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

monsterfish

Diseased Salmon
« on: 03/11/2007 at 15:25 »
I was fishing on the Don on the last day of the season and saw a diseased fish.  I usually associate this with the new year and early spring.  What causes this and is there any significance in it?

Hamish Young

Re: Diseased Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2007 at 15:57 »
It was probably - but not certainly by any means - furunculosis  :z6

Is there any significance in it - yes and no.
Yes in that close contact with other fish (ie - spawning) may see the disease spread.
No in the hope that it was not severely infected. More of a problem in a confined environment (eg Fish farm).

Furunculosis is relatively common in aquaculture and in the wild, I'm digging into the memory banks here a bit but if I recall correctly in the wild varying water temperature and damage to a weakened fish (which in this instance may have been in the river for a while) cause the infection to start up. Quite often a white jelly type spongy infection - nasty  :shock

Re: Diseased Salmon
« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2007 at 17:37 »
I also saw a diseased fish on the second last day of the season below Kintore, may even be the same one given the locations and timescale assuming you were out at Kintore.

Usually i dont see them till February.

Chris

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com