Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Stewart

Re: Fishing Wagon Accessories
« Reply #30 on: 10/07/2016 at 12:57 »
Mike,

I'd be more than happy to advertise your lines on the canopy of my ute. If you do get some stickers.

Cheers,

Steven.

Me too.  I have a COBB, Firebox Stove, Kelly Kettle and for speedy brews or soups Jetboil Flash. Man can never have too many fire making gadgets.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 20/07/2016 at 21:34 »
Getting frustrated now ...... I've got the replacement 'inner workings' and filled the Perkomax with two mugs of water, then put the coffee etc in as per the instructions ( and it is not like I've never used a percolator before :z4 ) and boiled the water for 15 minutes.

I end up with slightly coloured water and a high proportion of the coffee is still bone dry :z3

I can't get this one to work and I've no idea why :z8

Euan Innes

« Reply #32 on: 20/07/2016 at 23:46 »
Mike,
Just watched a review on Youtube from a guy who also though that it sucked. The recommendation from the manufacturer was to use a MINIMUM of 1 litre of water to make the Perkomax work. Might be worth a try.
Or throw out the innards, fill it full of water, boil it and add ground coffee. Take off the heat and let it sit for five minutes. add a splash of cold water to take the grounds to the bottom and pour.
Enjoy!

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #33 on: 21/07/2016 at 00:06 »
Hi Euan,
Yes, that appears to be the trick. I've managed to get some coffee from it :X4

After a fair bit of experimenting, it seems to need a minimum of 4 decent size mug fulls of water to get it to work ..... so rather than 1-6 cups, I think I'd rate it as 4-6 cups :z3

....... and yes, I wouldn't rule out trying it 'wild west cowboy' style :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #34 on: 22/07/2016 at 16:55 »
Mike,
There are loads of big enamel coffee pots on Ebay for under £20, a lot of them new.

From Trout Bum -

“It took A.K. to teach me how to make real camp coffee: bring one pot of lake or river water to a rolling boil, add two palmfuls of generic coffee, and remove the pot to the edge of the coals. If it’s the breakfast pot, throw in the eggshells. When it’s done (five to ten minutes), add a splash of cold water to settle the grounds.
Like whiskey, it should be drunk from a tin cup.”    – John Gierach, Camp Coffee

John uses a percollator with the innards. I have used this method most times the power goes out in the rural areas that I have stayed in. I haven't had a proper fishing camp since before I met my wife (what does that tell you?) but still once or twice a year when she is away and I am feeling nostalgic I will brew up a pot. Tomorrow morning might just have to be one of those!!  :z4

:z1

Mike Barrio

Re: Fishing Wagon Accessories New
« Reply #35 on: 19/08/2016 at 10:00 »
Interesting wee video :cool:
I was playing with the idea of a roof top tent ( they do look cool ) but I think I'll stick to the ground.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #36 on: 19/08/2016 at 12:45 »
nice and well thought out  :z16

van- open door, push bags, sleep. (on a real mattress, quilt and pillows)
bugs- no
wild animals-no (unless they're mouse size but that hasn't happened yet)  :z4
bad weather, storms and such, who cares ? it's actually pretty cool and the sounds are intense. having the van rock back and forth in 100kph winds is a great way to fall asleep. 🙂
but maybe the biggest advantage is as long as I can park I can camp out or take a nap whilst traveling. meaning , no need for camping grounds or special place or permissions. from the outside it just looks like a parked van.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #37 on: 19/08/2016 at 13:13 »
Sounds ideal Marc! I'm very jealous, next car will defo need room for all my gear and a bed.  :z4

:z18

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #38 on: 19/08/2016 at 16:27 »
but I think I'll stick to the ground.

you'll have to watch out for burrowing Beavers !  :z4 :z4 :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #39 on: 19/08/2016 at 16:37 »
Sounds ideal Marc!

its not ideal Liam but is a somewhat innexpensive solution for fishing travels. its a regular commercial van so apart from having A/C there's no frills... but its served me well over many trips. next one will be slightly bigger with a small kitchen space, small 'living room/table, small shower and wc: Beverly Hills on wheels !  :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

Re: Fishing Wagon Accessories New
« Reply #40 on: 22/08/2016 at 15:06 »
Vango (Govan) :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #41 on: 23/08/2016 at 13:20 »
Hmmm ......... one of these with the awning sides fitted and a table at the front might make a quirky wee stand for game fairs?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #42 on: 24/08/2016 at 10:20 »
Mike, we bought a few things for the last Disco from Caranex, based in Argyll.

Super quality and a good service. worth considering.

http://www.caranex.com/

Mike Barrio

« Reply #43 on: 24/08/2016 at 16:58 »
Yep ..... seen those Rob, cost is about the same as the Howling Moon version of the 'Oztent' :z16

Between the Bell tent and the Force Ten I'm well covered for camping and I have a nice canvas awning that fits both :cool:
It was more the quirky game fair trade stand idea that was tickling my fancy :z4

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 13/01/2017 at 10:26 »
One for the colder countries :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com