Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Re: Cheap rods
« Reply #15 on: 23/03/2017 at 10:29 »
Orvis 10' #5 Recon =108 grams.   Shakespeare Agility2  10' #5 = 114 grams.  The end of the reel seat on the Shaky is solid bar stock (I know because I drilled it out to fit a butt) and is probably the reason for the extra few grams static weight.  So hardly twice as heavy and with the extra few grams being behind the reel.

I suspect that cheaper tackle is not even considered or tested by many, on the assumption that cheap is nasty - which the latest Shaky offering, certainly is not.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 23/03/2017 at 12:26 »
Orvis 10' #5 Recon =108 grams.   Shakespeare Agility2  10' #5 = 114 grams.  The end of the reel seat on the Shaky is solid bar stock (I know because I drilled it out to fit a butt) and is probably the reason for the extra few grams static weight.  So hardly twice as heavy and with the extra few grams being behind the reel.

I suspect that cheaper tackle is not even considered or tested by many, on the assumption that cheap is nasty - which the latest Shaky offering, certainly is not.

When you build rods you start to see how the balance is far more important than the weight.

A super light, tip heavy rod will feel heavier than a well balanced, heavier rod. I built two demo rods of my 9 weight pike fly rod, one with a standard Fuji "pipe" reel seat which is very very light indeed, and one with a salt water proof Struble titanium seat that was heavy. On the scales the titanium seated rod was just over an ounce heavier. In the hand, people though it was the lighter of the two rods. This was because it balanced perfectly.

In general, the more expensive gear tends to have better components, be better balanced, and produced in countries where labour costs are higher. This accounts for the cost.

In general cheaper rods are mass produced, have cheaper components and are made in countries where the living wage is far lower. This accounts for the savings.

In some cases companies use identical blanks but the cost of the finished rod can be vast because of the above.

Terry Coging

« Reply #17 on: 23/03/2017 at 22:42 »
Agree with you Rob and another reason for low cost is volume. There is nothing wrong with the Shaky balance though - go try one. 
A Sage using pal bought a Shaky Agility2 a fortnight ago after trying one of my Agility mk1's and he was astonished at the performance. 

It all comes down to what we are happy with though.

Terry Coging

« Reply #18 on: 26/04/2017 at 07:33 »
I'll be visiting my bil in Indiana in Sept. Planning to take a reel loaded with my favourite line = Barrio  Mallard w/f 5, with the intention of trying out the top end rods.  Sage, Loomis etc. If I'm sufficiently impressed I will buy one - much cheaper out there.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com