Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Alexander

Tippet knots?
« on: 17/06/2016 at 01:10 »
I have been using a two turn surgeons knot for years to connect my top dropper tippets, but I recently discovered that in a lot of stiffer copolymer and fluorocarbon leader material this knot breaks quite easily.  Normally I use a tippet ring from my tapered leader to the first piece of tippet (approx 2ft or so) then off that tie a dropper using a tippet knot and so on depending on the number of flies. I have tried the Uni to Uni which is seems, ok better than surgeons but  not the greatest.  The J knot, the Orvis tippet (seagaur is a variation of this one) they seem better again.

What tippet know agrees best with the trout cast copolymer tippet ?  I just got some recently.

Just curious what you all use?

Cheers,

Dave

Euan Innes

Re: Tippet knots?
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2016 at 08:31 »
Hi Dave,
Orvis knot for me every time.

http://www.animatedknots.com/orvis/#ScrollPoint

And three turn water knot for droppers.

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2016 at 10:17 »
Uni Knot for me, depending on diameter, 3-5 turns. The thicker it is, the less turns.

http://www.animatedknots.com/duncan/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2016 at 13:49 »
3 turn water knot for all applications, easgach  1

Ian Bell

« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2016 at 09:16 »
I've had too many problems with fluoro! I'm using Stroft GTM for everything nowadays!  :z16
 Knots for droppers ... a back to back four turn grinner/uni knot, with the end I'm using for the dropper put back through the middle, before final tightening, to make it stand out.
To a leader ring... Grinner/uni knot.
 For trout flies... a single Davy knot.

Dave Alexander

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2016 at 03:54 »
Hi Ian. Yeah fluro.  I like some of  its qualities  especially for droppers because it is a bit stiffer.  I recently bought some seagaur sts and it was really good on hook knot strength but absoultley terrible line to line.  This is actually what got me on the whole dropper knot strength kick. I tried everyknot out there and  couldn't get anything to work.  I have been testing the 3 turn water knot but in some copolymer it doesn't seem as strong as the orvis  is or the j knot.  Can't really get stroft in Canada nobody seems to want to sell it. And its expensive coming from the UK. Would like to try it sometime though.  Cheers Dave

Dan

« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2016 at 10:24 »
Dave I read your post with interest, as this year I have experienced the worst season for lost fish at the droppers; but some of your text puzzles me. I am going to be embarrassingly naïve here, but what is Seagaur sts; what is the j knot; orvis knot?
I read further in forum about the Clark diagram and  I recall seeing for droppers knots and this is that one puzzles me; not being gifted with spatial intelligence (I do not mean special but refer to space environment) I cannot understand the last 2 point he makes. First he chooses the tag hanging down - which at 10 to 12 inches is surely going to twist around the main line - and we all look for a dropper that "stands" away from the main tippet. He also makes another knot above the dropper knot - which to my mind would help in the dropper stand away from the tippet, but then cuts it; if I read the diagram correctly. To me this raises  more question; why makes the extra knot - surely this is like a wind knot and we all know this weakens the main tippet and it seems has no necessity. I am at lost to try and correct my dropper knots and I would appreciate any help at all from you or anybody else on the forum. I use Fulling Mill fluorocarbon in 6lbs and 8lbs strength with a 3 turns water knot. Tried other brands with "same" difference. Looking forward to comments

Dan

Re: Tippet knots? Dfropper knots
« Reply #7 on: 26/09/2016 at 20:00 »
Just to say I have had success with double blood not. First session this season without losing any takes on the dropper with it.
Question please: what is the difference between a double grinner knot and a double blood knot?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com