Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Peter Ross June Tutorial Partridge Website
« on: 15/06/2016 at 19:19 »
Hi Guys
June tutorial up and running on the Partridge of Redditch website, my wee variation on the age old Peter Ross.
Great flee well worth a swim or two not only on the lochs but when chasing migratory troots in lower water.
Hope you like it
Allan

http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/blog/june-tutorial-personalised-peter-ross

Euan Innes

Re: Peter Ross June Tutorial Partridge Website
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2016 at 22:31 »
As I was going down the tutorial Allan I was going to ask if we needed the Partridge. The first pictures of the fly don't really show it, BUT when I got to the last picture it all makes sense.
I have had no real success with a Peter Ross but I need to tie up this version as it finally clicks with me.
Nice going!  :z14

:z1

James Craig

Re: Peter Ross June Tutorial Partridge Website
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2016 at 10:41 »
This is my first season both in fly fishing and fly tying and my most successful wet fly so far has been the Black Pennell. After tying up a gang of them I went completely off-piste and tied all sorts of unidentifiable techni-coloured wets. Suffice to say that none of them have worked and the BP is still working a charm.

I'm going to get myself back on track and tie up some of these - They look like a good companion to the BP, and not a million miles away in terms of tying. I've a few questions that I've been wondering for a while;

Is the wing strictly necessary and is its presence intended to give a more defined or 'stiffer' top line to the profile of the fly?

and;

When tying wets, is there a rule of thumb for choosing a cock/hen/saddle/cape hackle? I understand the basic principles, but see wets tied with a range of different types.

Thanks for the tutorial,

James  :z12

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com