Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Scottish Game Fair July 1st - 3rd 2016
« Reply #15 on: 07/07/2016 at 16:08 »
Unless the manufacturers support Fishermans Row, it will be gone within a couple of years.  Why would I want to drive a round trip of 150 miles and pay a sizable entrance fee to go and buy something off of Somers when I could have popped into the shop and got my discount for being an ADAA member? It is pointless.

However, if I knew that there was going to be a stand from Hardy/Greys, one from B&W, one from say Daiwa, one from Wychwood, maybe Airflo, scierra and so on, where I could go and have a cast, pick up a rod or two, compare them back to back, play about with reels and so on, then the place would be mobbed...just like it was the first few times I went. I remember Greys, Hardy, B&W and a few other manufacturers being there. There are plenty of manufacturers out their, and they do turn up to other events. In fact, Hardy even had a stand, and a big one at that, at the Northern Angling Show, which is predominantly a coarse fishing show. if I could try these items out, I would be more inclined to buy from my local dealer or a trade stand at the show (Manufactures should not sell direct to the public but point people to the retailer stands).

I don't know the price of a trade stand, but I do know a couple of people that have had stands there and wont go back due to cost. The organisers have to make it attractive to the manufacturers and then the people will come. I hear crowds were about 15% down on last year over all.

Just my thoughts...but when I see the size of Carp shows down south and especially in Europe, where the manufacturers do turn up, then the gamefair is tiny in comparison.

Rant over :)

Peter McCallum

« Reply #16 on: 07/07/2016 at 21:06 »
Couldnt agree more Rob but part of the problem was caused by people going to the fair, trying the gear but then heading to the interweb and buying the gear at knock down prices. I know that is the way of the world but its a fact. Same with local tackle shops (or any other local service) use it or lose it.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 11/07/2016 at 13:04 »
part of the problem was caused by people going to the fair, trying the gear but then heading to the interweb

Its a problem all retailers face, unless you are called Mike and hold exclusive distribution rights ;)

Will Shaw

« Reply #18 on: 11/07/2016 at 18:20 »
So, I've been thinking about this (nice distraction  from work and worrying about Brexit and the meltdown of UK politics!).

The root of this is that the shows need to decide what they're for.

It's no longer good enough to pitch them primarily as a retail opportunity. Peter's comments are spot on, people can and will buy elsewhere. I don't see any tackle major manufacturers getting their money back in sales on the day. That leaves you with small players taking small stands and selling things cheap - not really an attraction.

So if the show's reason-for-being isn't as a retail opportunity then what is it? Entertainment that's what!

If I'm being asked to pay £20 plus £5 for parking, plus petrol, plus food and drink, it'd better be good! So, what would good entertainment look like?

- A full program of demonstrations, both coarse, sea, and fly. The demos in the last few years have been sparse and the same people doing the same demos. They don't all have to be beginner oriented either. Where's Charles Jardine? Andrew Toft? Steve Rajeff? Matt Hayes? Whoever else is on the TV just now? Some of the top comp. anglers? Leader to hand? Bugging? Saltwater? Pike? Where are the lure fishing demos? There should be a row of top fly tyers - from abroad too. Allow major manufacturers slots to demo/preview their new kit.
- Films. Why not be a venue for the international film tours - previewing new films?
- Competitions:  Put up some serious prizes and get some proper competitors in.

Heck - I'd pay more than £20 for that lot, as long as i knew about it. The only promotion I saw for this year's fair was on little green roadside signs on the A68! How crap is that? I'd be Facebooking and Twittering the heck out of it, and previewing it in FF&FT, T&S etc.

So, this obviously needs quite a bit of up-front investment (and risk) from the organisers and I don't know how feasible this is. However, once you have a decent program and are telling people about it, you can share plans with the tackle trade who may even believe your forecasts for better numbers of the right kind of visitors (i.e. keenies who might actually buy your kit now and again).

They might then see the show as a means to promote their brands and kit to Scottish anglers (as opposed to a cheesy sales opportunity where everyone is asking for a show discount), and maybe (only maybe) divert funds from press ads, social media, and other shows into building decent stands.

These decent stands then add to the overall attraction of the show - improving numbers even more - woohooo!

All of this is risky I admit. Maybe the economics of the thing mitigate against it. But I can't see another option. If it carries on as it is I can see "Fisherman's Corner" disappearing altogether.

There - got that off my chest!

Hamish Young

« Reply #19 on: 11/07/2016 at 18:29 »
Can't argue with that Will  :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #20 on: 11/07/2016 at 18:53 »
spot on, Will !  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 11/07/2016 at 19:36 »
Excellent post Will :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #22 on: 11/07/2016 at 21:41 »
Its a problem all retailers face, unless you are called Mike and hold exclusive distribution rights ;)

As I said Rob use it or lose it hence the lack of local tackle  shops.

Will, well said its an entertainment extravaganza but it has long since ceased to be aimed at country sports but at the , for want of a better term, 'wanabes' who are there to  see and be seen.   :cry :cry

On a positive note keep the 25th & 26th of feb 2017 free for fly fest Scotland which should be an excellent opportunity to see and try. :z16

John Powell

« Reply #23 on: 11/12/2016 at 15:00 »

keep the 25th & 26th of feb 2017 free for fly fest Scotland ..........

where is this being held..?
thanks

Peter McCallum

« Reply #24 on: 11/12/2016 at 16:04 »
In stirling but there may be a rain check this year. final dates coming in the new year

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #25 on: 11/12/2016 at 16:53 »
Before holding any event in Scotland you should always check for rain...

I'll get my coat.

Steven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #26 on: 11/12/2016 at 19:18 »
In stirling but there may be a rain check this year. final dates coming in the new year
I wonder if it'll give way for more or less the same cast who are appearing at this.... https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/magazine/fly-tying-pro-day/
Unfortunately we have visitors, or I'd almost certainly gone down for a look see  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com