Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gordon Dempsey

Injured or diseased trout
« on: 09/06/2016 at 22:58 »
Tonight I was fishing the Kinaldie beat on the Don and spotted a fish in the shallows which had very obvious damage to the head. It didn't take a lot of effort to net it and I found that the skin and most of the flesh were gone from the head. The rest of the fish was fine, otherwise it was a beautiful 3/4 pound brownie in great condition, a crying shame. Needless to say I put it out of it's misery.
A couple of days ago within a mile of the same spot I saw a dead fish, maybe 2 pounds, but could only see the underside and couldn't get near it to examine it.

Is there any sort of disease reported on the Don, and has anybody else seen dead or damaged fish on the river? I have a photo but respect admins request not to post photos of dead fish. 

Mike Barrio

Re: Injured or diseased trout
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/2016 at 10:36 »
Hi Gordon,

I haven't heard about any problems.

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2016 at 19:48 »
I have a photo but respect admins request not to post photos of dead fish.

Have you reported your finding to the River Don Trust ??? http://www.riverdon.org.uk/
Additionally, there's a significant difference between photos of dead fish that have been 'put of their misery' and those that have been chapped on the head needlessly.
By the sound of it, your 3/4lb trout falls into the category where for angling interest a photo would be useful.

Simon Bruce

« Reply #3 on: 10/06/2016 at 22:30 »
I have also seen over the last week or two a couple of dead trout in the river up where I fish, and a fish of about 2 or 3lb swimming about a pool with what looks like some sort of fungus on his head ( head is all white) and what looks like sores on the body. I have tried to get a hold of him but every time you get the net near him he will take off but you can walk right up to the rivers edge and he won't move just sits there.

Simon

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 11/06/2016 at 00:08 »
Sounds  like Sapmaligna (sp?) similiar to what rainbows get if badly handled, or (hopefully not as has potential to effect a lot more fish) UDN outbreak, thankfully pretty rare.
I'd certainly be reporting these fish with pics if you can get them

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 11/06/2016 at 08:34 »
Pleased to see you're passing the information on and it will be interesting to see what suggestions come forward from the Trust/Board.

Looking at the photo I wondered initially if it were UDN - more common on migratory salmonids, but Brownies do get it - or some other ulcer or damage which is usually compounded in freshwater by a secondary infection such as a Saprolegnia fungus. Now if it were Saprolegnia then this normally gives a white afro or cotton wool type effect to the fishes skin which doesn't appear to be evident in the photo, so I wonder if it is a parasitic infestation :? Probably best wait and see.

Scott Cumming

« Reply #6 on: 11/06/2016 at 10:17 »
This is getting worrying, I caught one last night in Association waters... I will forward pics onto the River Don Trust.

Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2016 at 10:21 »
Yes, doesn't look like Saprolegnia fungus to me either Hamish, from the photo I would pitch a guess at some type of parasitic infestation too.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 11/06/2016 at 10:23 »
That's is worrying Scott, we need to let the River Don team know about this.

I have sent Jim Kerr and Martin an email with a link to this thread.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 11/06/2016 at 10:44 »
Since this seems to be in the head area, can I suggest that if anybody hooks a fish like this, that they remove and dispose of their fly as a simple precaution against any cross contamination with another trout ....... especially since many of us also fish on other local rivers like the Deveron.

We also need to think about cross infection via nets :z17

Gordon Dempsey

« Reply #10 on: 11/06/2016 at 11:59 »
There was definitely no Saprolegnia present that I could see, I am familiar with it. This suggests to me that the damage would likely to have been very recent as it doesn't generally take Saprolegnia very long to take hold in an open wound such as the lesions found in UDN or any parasitic infection, and as you rightly pointed out Hamish the wound appears to be very clean.

Scott's photos just came in as I was typing this and what we see there looks like like the early stages of the same thing.

I have written to the Don bailiffs at The River Don Trust with a copy of my photo, let's see what they come back with.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 11/06/2016 at 12:31 »

We also need to think about cross infection via nets :z17

yet another reason to addopt ruber net bags. personally, i think they should be mandatory.
don't know the specifics of the diseases themselves but a similar outbreak causing a lot of fish mortality is currently happening in the French Alps regions. among other reasons studies have proven that the standard woven mesh is indeed a major cause of cross infection.

Jim Kerr

« Reply #12 on: 11/06/2016 at 12:51 »
To all

Thank you for all the information you have passed on regarding diseased Brown trout seen on the river. If any angler comes across  any diseased trout please phone 01330 830080 and give as much information as possible to the fishery office who will answer the call. and further instruction will then be given.

Regards
Jim Kerr
Senior Fishery Officer
Don DSFB
The Don District Salmon Fishery Board

Scott Cumming

« Reply #13 on: 11/06/2016 at 13:41 »
The water is very low and water temperature has increased dramatically over last few weeks, maybe this has contributed to the recent condition of some trout??

Been looking through some fish pics. This one was caught June last year in low water  :z8

Gordon Dempsey

« Reply #14 on: 11/06/2016 at 13:44 »
Jim,

My fish was buried on the river bank, but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of these, let us know if you think it would help to have specimens for examination/autopsy purposes and if so how to get them to you.

Gordon.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com