Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Doug Ross

Loch fishing in Orkney
« on: 17/05/2016 at 11:26 »
Hi all,  Fairly new to the forum, recently returned to the noble art after an eighteen year break, so be gentle! I'm heading to Orkney next week, to sample the local troot fishing. Will be fishing Swannay. So any advice, tips or tricks would be much appreciated! :z18

Allan Liddle

Re: Loch fishing in Orkney
« Reply #1 on: 17/05/2016 at 21:28 »
God's country and amongst the best trout fishing in the country.

Claret Hogs for Swannay, fish them around all the skerries and rocks, be careful as wading is difficult.  :z16

Doug Ross

« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2016 at 22:05 »
So I've heard! Will be fishing from a boat, mostly. And will be
Keeping a close eye on those skerries! :z5 :z16

Cheers Allan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2016 at 12:34 »
In that case Dougie, then concentrate on the skerries around Muckle Island (you'll easily know it when you see it) as well as along the shoreline in front of Ronnie Breks boat hire bay right up to the top of the loch (OTFA end).
Bottom of the loch (sea end) can be ok and a wee run along the shore (both sides) always worthy of the time in the right wind.

Olive, black and claret Snatchers worth giving a swim, as are Claret, Natural Hares Ear, and Olive Hogs.
Short lining in a big wave can be spectacular, otherwise try a general figure of eight retrieve with the Hogs (Ginked Up).

Stripping lures worth keeping in mind and watch out for some serious takes as the fish in here are usually a bit fierce.

Away from Swannay, Harray is worth some serious attention, same flies with more emphasis on the olive ones.  Midge patterns this time of year also a must (for all Orkney waters) and top tip wherever you're fishing, if you see birds working the water go there right away.  Also in Orkney not so much if you can't see the bottom, but more if you can't feel it then you're often fishing too deep. (I regularly fish right onto the stones into less than a foot of water).  Dries can be (and are for me) often very deadly.

Hope the weather's kind to you, but even in a gale you'll catch fish.

Cheers
Allan

Doug Ross

« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2016 at 15:47 »
Thanks for the info Allan. Flee boxes are now well and truly stocked! :z18 The weather isn't looking too bad, so far! :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 24/05/2016 at 19:53 »
Orange Invicta took my 4lb trout on Swannay from the bank at the Twat end, :cool: easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com