Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andrew Ellis

Dirty Duster type simple dry/damps
« on: 13/05/2016 at 15:39 »
As a newbie here I've not posted a fly on here before,  but as I've been having good success with these of late I thought I'd pop them up.  As with nigh on everything I do, just very very simple ties. I apply floatant to the 'wing' only, I want the body to break the surface. I fish these in 12 down to 20, 14's and 16's are the most used. I've only used them on stillwater this season, not had an opportunity to venture out on a river yet. :cry

Hook: Fulling Mill 35050, the emerger style are with Hanak H390BL's
Rib: Madeira opal
Body: A scruffy blend
Wing/Hackle: Badger saddle, clipped underneath (badger works nicely for a midge pattern but I do use other hackles too.)

Andrew

Mike Barrio

Re: Duster type simple dry/damps
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2016 at 18:01 »
Great stuff Andrew :z16

Andrew Ellis

« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2016 at 10:18 »
Thank you Mike, they're certainly working for me.... managed to ambush this one last evening from the lake on a #14 straight shank version, just sub 6 1/2,  it's made my (stillwater) season. Not the best photo admittedly and not nearly as pretty as your Scottish WBT, but fish was returned. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 17/05/2016 at 10:51 »
Nice one Andrew :z12

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2016 at 12:36 »
Cracker

Dirty Duster one of my top flies both on river's and lochs.  Try it with a black rabbit / Olive Glister mix for body and grizzle hackle, great emerging midge pattern.

Andrew Ellis

Re: Dirty Duster type simple dry/damps
« Reply #5 on: 20/05/2016 at 15:04 »
Thanks for that Allan, I actually started out with something similar which evolved into these, and was happily extolling the virtues of the fly I'd 'invented' to Mr. Nelson until he (not unkindly) burst my bubble pointing out they were effectively Dirty Dusters and had been around for ages. :X1 I know there's very little new in fly tying, mostly just variations on a theme. I'm not a great follower of patterns, preferring to sit down and make things up for myself and funnily enough I'd arrived at the tying as an alternative to the DHE which while I can tie, takes me longer because I find deer hair a faff.  It also doesn't seem to float as well as these, for me anyway.  Having subsequently read Bob Wyatt's description, it seems one reason he came up with this duster variant, which could be fished as a simple alternative to his DHE, was for lazy beggars like me.  For now they've nigh on replaced DHE's and Klinks in my box, although I will need to sit at the vice at some point and be slightly less lazy I guess.

Andrew

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 20/05/2016 at 15:54 »
No worries Andrew, if you want a hi viz version simply add in a small coloured bit of Aero Wing directly behind the hackle.  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 05/07/2016 at 13:50 »
Wee selection of my latest Dirty Duster variations hot off the vice.

Troots love 'em and work well as a wee spider pattern if the fish aren't keen to pick off the top.

Actually salmon like 'em too as I hooked one (briefly) just over a week back which decided it wanted to head back to Banff   :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com