Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Allan

Deveron Browns
« on: 09/05/2016 at 20:25 »
Hi all. Its been a long time since I've been on the forum .I've got the chance to fish the Coniecleugh beat for browns on Friday I've fished it a few times for salmon but never browns   any recommendations on what fly's to try this time of year?
 I used to fish the ugie for browns with dry's heavy nymphs spiders . 
Ill be using the 3wt and a 5 wt I would think.

Graham.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Deveron Browns
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2016 at 20:27 »
Been a funny couple of weeks Graham.

I'd just match the hatch size, so there will probably be LDO's (the last of them) OU's and grannom coming off, so DHE's in 12-16, CDC and Elk caddis in a 16, some terrestrials as the Hawthorns are about to start. Not sure what else to suggest, PT nymphs in a 14/16 if you fancy duo. should be over cast friday, so you might just Hit it spot on, water is nice and warm so with the clouds the flies just might go ballastic (i can hope) but be prepared to work for the fish and hunt them down.

Tight lines :z18

Sandy

Graham Allan

« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2016 at 22:02 »
Thanks for the info Sandy .I see there's a good bit of cloud for Friday the NEly wind might be a bit of a turn off for the fly's and the troot  I ordered some depth charge patterns in just in case. I'm sure we will winkle a few out anyway it will be nice to get out on the water for the day .I always thought that  Coniecleugh looked like a fine trootie bit .Ill let you know how we get on hopefully with a few photos .
Cheers Graham.

Alan Davidson

« Reply #3 on: 13/05/2016 at 10:14 »
I am off to that beat also next week hopefully if my mate is home from fishing. I got a day ticket for my Birthday so hopefully some good sport. I hear very good reports for the broonies.

Graham Allan

« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2016 at 17:21 »
Hi Sandy, Alan. It was a tough day with the Nly wind with a few sporadic small hatches of dark olives up until 3pm when there was a steady hatch that lasted a good hour or 2 that  got the troot up in the fast runs not in big nos none of the bigger fish showed.
Had a great day even though it was freezing cold started about 0930 and took a 1/2 pounder on a tungsten grhe in the fast water outside the hut upstream /cheque nymph kind of style lots of runs, pockets,bolders etc to explore probably stayed there to long.
moved up stream to the tail of the next pool and lost a couple on drys on the 3wt then went for lunch about 1330 .
fished the runs downstream of the  bothy after lunch wtth olives starting to trickle down but no risers took a couple 1/2 pounders on upstream heavy nymphs no takes to spiders .switched to drys and took a few 1/2 pounders missed loads they were like lightning. the hatch died about1700 had coffee  went back up to the big long run and fished with heavy nymph butcher black spider on wt 3 caught 3  1/2  lbers  all on heavy nymph fished up and across .No monsters fished till almost 2200 as sandy said had to work for the fish .
Had a fantastic day Graham.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com