Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Re: Assynt in May/June
« Reply #15 on: 13/12/2016 at 17:25 »
No cap as such Hamish - just 'sensible'.   Alt is only £35 bb and OK. Inch is £55 but mediocre TA ratings.  Would pay more if good though. The other couple are more into walking than fishing.

Terry Coging

« Reply #16 on: 28/05/2017 at 07:13 »
Back to Assynt tomorrow - yippeeeeeee...

Lochinver pies/Lochinver pies...........................

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 28/05/2017 at 09:34 »
Enjoy :z16

Andy Finlay

« Reply #18 on: 28/05/2017 at 14:24 »
Was there last weekend for a few days and will be back up September. Fishing was good as usual, weathers been warm so plenty of growth and food about for the fish. Hope you have a good time and catch plenty.

Terry Coging

« Reply #19 on: 03/06/2017 at 10:26 »
Unfortunately (?) this was not a fishing trip. However, I managed to  secretly pack the car with and electric outboard, battery, charger, Airflow boat seat, 2 rods, boat bag, creel, wellies, waders, landing net/walking staff and my waterproof jacket festooned with scissors and forceps. I blamed the bbq and large folding chair for the lack of space for our normal luggage.

Only managed two short afternoons on the Loch but caught plenty. Not much interest in traditional wets but going mad for the daddy and sedgehog fished dry. If they did not take the daddy on the point a quick strip and they came for the sedgehog on the dropper. I will be back  :cool:

Terry Wood

« Reply #20 on: 26/05/2021 at 19:15 »
Just commenting on this post on the off chance somebody might still know anything that could help me.
I’m also looking at launching my own boat on any Loch in the areas mentioned below.
I stay in Ullapool and have fished these areas on the bank along with others regularly.
 I’ve tried to contact assynt Crofters and ledmore estate to see which lochs maybe possible to launch a boat from if in fact I could use my own.
It’s nothing of size, just a wee Orkney Coastliner 14’ but I’m yet to receive any reply.

I’d appreciate any help from anyone in the know. Thanks.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 27/05/2021 at 00:14 »
Hi Terry ...... Welcome to the forum  :z16

I could be wrong, but I think you'll find that it is a case of no boat launching on any of the lochs and no fishing from canoes or kayaks ...... although float tubing is usually allowed.

Best wishes
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #22 on: 27/05/2021 at 07:20 »
Hi Terry, I have launched my own boat on Lochs Veyattie, Shin and Borralan. I paid a £10 launching fee plus a day ticket to Ledmore estate for Veyattie (easy access and launching).  2019.
The Lairg Angling Assn let me launch from their club's stony beach on Shin- can't remember the arrangement. 
You will need to check with the Alt pub (Craig and Sue) for permission on Loch Borralan.  I will be interested to hear if you get your boat on any other Lochs.
 I should have been up there this week  but out group of 4 have all had health issues.

Terry Wood

« Reply #23 on: 03/06/2021 at 17:57 »
Apologies to Mike and Terry. I didn’t see that I had a response to my comment.
Thanks for commenting.
Terry - I tried Ledmore estate, via email but no response. I’ve tried to call only twice (no answer) but hopefully I get someone soon to see what the deal is on the the lochs you mention.
The Alt hotel is closed and I’m not sure it’s ever reopened since the pandemic, I’m not sure who to contact for rights to Borralan.  I did take a look at it and a boat launch looks easy and accessible.
I bank fished Urigill, fantastic sport and good days out.
I’ll keep you posted how I get on.

Terry Wood

« Reply #24 on: 16/06/2021 at 21:03 »
Terry Coging - Spoke with Craig and Sue at the Alt hotel. Private Boat launch is a No.  *smiley-sad*
Same applies to Assynt and Ledmore estates. Private boat launch is a No. 
Told I’d have to hire one of their own. Suppose it’s not the end of the world and was worth a shot so guess I’ll be hiring one.  *smiley-unhappy*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com