Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Daniel1979

Grip and reel seat question
« on: 18/04/2016 at 19:16 »
I'm preparing to rebuild a 9' 4wt Dancraft FTL that I made a bit of a pigs ear of quite a few years ago. Blank is now stripped down ready to rebuild. I friend of mine has given me a butt section from a Vision Cult which he previously  snapped. Is there  a simple way of getting the Cult grip and reelseat off the broken blank in one piece to be used in my rebuild? Ive got a feeling its not going to be easy but I thought i'd ask the more experienced!

Cheers
Daniel

Rob Brownfield

Re: Grip and reel seat question
« Reply #1 on: 19/04/2016 at 08:41 »
Am I right in thinking the Cult has the partial cork reel seat?

Personally, I would not bother. I would hack off the old reel seat and handle, salvage the metal parts and re-turn a new insert and handle and use the bits from the Cult.

Even easier would be to buy new skeleton parts, no hacking and cleaning then.

If its a metal or solid wood reel seat, then you can try applying heat via a heat gun. This should melt the glue and with a good pair of mole grips and a cloth, you should be able to twist off the reel seat...but it will still need cleaning up.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 19/04/2016 at 17:09 »
I have recovered a few rod handles and reel seats by getting a hot wire ( fence) and running it up the hole for a few minutes you should be able to remove the handle no bother  it works for me easgach  1

Daniel1979

« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2016 at 18:59 »
Hi Rob, yes the Cult has the cork insert. Hadn't thought of using the Cult's reel hardware and turning my own seat insert. Before I was given the broken Cult, I started gluing rings together in preparation for turning my own grip so this would be easy to continue with.

Hi Easgach, i think you've lost me with the hot wire technique. Probably me being a bit slow! Googling now!

Any thoughts on colour combinations for a matt grey blank?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2016 at 07:48 »
Any thoughts on colour combinations for a matt grey blank?

My last rod I built was matt grey, I used a thread that matched but tipped whippings with a Platinum metallic thread. I also put a Olive Branch "weave" at each joint in a black thread. You only really saw it when the light was right..very subtle but there if you knew :)

Worked for me :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 20/04/2016 at 15:09 »
the hot wire is inserted in to the rod section and held there for a few minutes it should be enough to melt the glue I have recovered a few handles and reel seats like this, I wouldn't use it if I expected to used the  rod section again, easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 21/04/2016 at 08:02 »
the hot wire is inserted in to the rod section and held there for a few minutes it should be enough to melt the glue I have recovered a few handles and reel seats like this, I wouldn't use it if I expected to used the  rod section again, easgach 1

Interesting method. When you say "wire", are we talking about heating a rod that fits snuggly inside the blank?

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 21/04/2016 at 16:01 »
No Rob, I use a bit of Heavy fence wire, heated , not quite red hot , and held up the blank for a few minutes, it helps to move it about, My last 2 home builds have recovered winches and handles on them, welding gloves help easgach 1 

Daniel1979

« Reply #8 on: 21/04/2016 at 18:16 »
This is an interesting method. I'll definitely give this a go on 'the nothing to lose' Cult.

Cheers all   :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 22/04/2016 at 07:52 »
No Rob, I use a bit of Heavy fence wire, heated , not quite red hot , and held up the blank for a few minutes, it helps to move it about, My last 2 home builds have recovered winches and handles on them, welding gloves help easgach 1

Interesting indeed. Thanks for the insight.

If only I could use that method on the 3 carp rods I am about to rebuild. The diameter of the reel seats alone would probably render the method ineffective, plus the blanks are rather rare and command silly money, so I need to be extra careful on removing the seats. Back to a hacksaw and a spiral cut :(

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 22/04/2016 at 12:17 »
Would I be right in thinking that as production rods often have tape 'filling out' the blank to the handle and reel seat ........ soaking the butt section for a while in very hot water can sometimes help with removal?

Just a thought ................

Cheers
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: 22/04/2016 at 16:26 »
Rob You could try filling the blank section with boiling water after plugging the end,I have some large internal Dia cork handles what size do you need? easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 25/04/2016 at 07:47 »
Would I be right in thinking that as production rods often have tape 'filling out' the blank to the handle and reel seat ........ soaking the butt section for a while in very hot water can sometimes help with removal?

Just a thought ................

Cheers
Mike

My carp rods certainly do have tape :)

I am going to try with the good old heat gun first..and then take it from there. :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com