Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mark1988

Sonik sk lite
« on: 14/04/2016 at 22:22 »
I am looking a 10 foot 3 weight rod for nymphing spiders and some dries. I can get a sonik at good money as im only learning nymphing techniques.

Have you guys and experience with this rod.

Also is 3 weight ok for nymphing or would a 2 weight be more suited

Rob Brownfield

Re: Sonik sk lite
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2016 at 09:16 »
I am looking a 10 foot 3 weight rod for nymphing spiders and some dries. I can get a sonik at good money as im only learning nymphing techniques.

Have you guys and experience with this rod.

Also is 3 weight ok for nymphing or would a 2 weight be more suited

Sonik gear is pretty decent stuff.  Created by ex Greys/Hardy employees, and coming from the same factories, the gear might be fairly new to the market, but they have years of experience behind them.

I would say a 3 weight is fine. I use a 3 and a 4 for Czech Nymphing, but a 3 for spiders (not that I fish them much :( ).

A lot will depend on where you are fishing too...I would not like to hook a 5 pounder on a 2 weight :)

mark1988

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2016 at 12:11 »
Thanks for your reply. Spoke to sonik about their guarantee and replacement parts and am pleased with what i was told so i am going to go for the sk lite 3 weight. Most fish are around 1 - 2 pound mark. 3 weight will also let me venture to other rivers with very little worry.

Thanks for the info on sonik. Hearing who makes them and designs them helps sway the decision.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Sonik sk lite New
« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2016 at 08:15 »
Thanks for your reply. Spoke to sonik about their guarantee and replacement parts and am pleased with what i was told so i am going to go for the sk lite 3 weight. Most fish are around 1 - 2 pound mark. 3 weight will also let me venture to other rivers with very little worry.

Thanks for the info on sonik. Hearing who makes them and designs them helps sway the decision.

I make nearly all my own rods now, but I bought 3 Sonik carp rods because I could not find a blank to match at the price. Been very very good rods indeed.

mark1988

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2016 at 15:16 »
I have the 10 foot 3 weight sonik sk lite purchased. Now for a day off work to test it out. Heres to hoping the river has calmed down a bit from i was last out a couple weeks ago

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com