Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Abel

Match the hatch
« on: 10/04/2016 at 08:03 »
 ??? Hi guys was out the last couple of days and there has been a mad feeding frenzy on these. I was wondering what think they are and what is best to fish. I have tried loads the only thing I never threw at them was my fly box. Thanks for any replies james :z16

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Match the hatch
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2016 at 08:14 »
James,

going by what I can see of the wings in your picture, it is one of the buzzer species.

If the trout are taking these as they emerge then the main issue is that your imitation has to be fished damp sitting in the surface film as the trout's view when swimming just below the surface is extremely limited by refraction. If your fly is riding high on the surface it can be ignored and if it drops below them it will be ignored. This can be very frustrating but if tackled with emerger patterns then it can be rewarding.

Eddie.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2016 at 08:57 »
Yes, I'd agree that's a buzzer. You could also try a Williams Favourite or even a Black Hopper in a size 14 to imitate an emerging adult.   :z16

James Abel

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2016 at 19:29 »
Thanks for the replies Marc that fly looks just the ticket hopefully I can catch some now but time will tell,it's been a hard couple of days. Managed to catch some on lures but I knew I was missing a trick. The hatches I have seen were crazy so early in the year the water was boiling can't wait until the summer.  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 15/04/2016 at 02:25 »
James - keep it simple for the buzzer hatch's.
You wont go far wrong with some fulling mill traffic light buzzers fished on a washing line to start things off.  If the fish are super high in the water try and fish the buzzers between two Fab's  or better still a couple of suspender buzzers.
Size will be important though and you will find every water has a different size /  colour  of fly hatching but  10s - 12s - 14s - 16s will see you ok.
Keep your eye on the flies coming off and match the size and colour and you will get the jist of it.  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com