Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Stewart

hi all
« on: 19/03/2016 at 21:39 »
A quick introduction I am new to fly fishing, I have been a sea angler for years and have recently given that up. I have only fished the river 3 times and already wondering why I didn't do this year's ago. I have only just found this forum and like what I've seen so far. I fish the chivas water and hope to meet other angler's at some point for a chat and maybe some tips. Today I learned a valuable lesson and that was have my landing net ready for use as I caught (almost )my first ever trout for it to spit out the hook as I tried to land it.

Mike Barrio

Re: hi all
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2016 at 22:38 »
Hi Mike .......... Welcome to the forum :z16

You'll have lots of fun getting to grips with river fishing, there's always something to learn, even after 40 years :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Stewart

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: 19/03/2016 at 22:59 »
I'm sure I will have lots of fun once i learn I'm not casting 8 ounce weights anymore.

Mark Zhang

« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2016 at 07:51 »
Glad to see anther one has been hooked   :z4. Enjoy your new season! :z18

Tight lines,

Mark

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2016 at 19:01 »
Welcome to the forum Mike

:z18

Jim

Mike Stewart

« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2016 at 11:24 »
Caught my first ever trout yesterday on Ythan not big but a first for me returned safely and unharmed. Cant wait for next outing. Fly fishing is the bees knees compared to sea fishing which ive only ever done before, sea gear all stashed away for good.  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 04/04/2016 at 07:37 »
Wait until you discover fly fishing for Pollock ;)

Mike Stewart

Re: hi
« Reply #7 on: 04/04/2016 at 21:37 »
That sounds cool, never knew you could do that tell me more.  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

Re: hi
« Reply #8 on: 05/04/2016 at 09:01 »
That sounds cool, never knew you could do that tell me more.  :cool:

I use a 9 weight fly rod, various shooting heads from an intermediate to an ultra fast sink, and tie flies to look like sandeels, small Pollock etc.

The Pollock hit hard and dive. They really pull on fly gear :)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 05/04/2016 at 10:27 »
Rob,

nice we video. Do you fish any marks in Aberdeen shire or is it all West coast stuff?

Eddie. :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 05/04/2016 at 11:22 »
Rob,

nice we video. Do you fish any marks in Aberdeen shire or is it all West coast stuff?

Not been for a while but I have fished off of Peterhead Breakwater (interesting),  Boddam Harbour ( great fun for fish to a couple of pounds) and rock marks south of Arbroath.

The better fishing is on the west Coast and I like it un Ullapool way.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 05/04/2016 at 12:04 »
Rob,

cheers for that, I also like the North West but my mother in law lives just outside Arbroath so I will need to investigate.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com