Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Grant Montgomery

My new 476 epic
« on: 27/02/2016 at 16:41 »
Hi folks,

Was out today on a tributary of the Clyde, primarily to try out the new epic kindly built for me by Sandy :z14, and see if there were any grayling coming up for dries.

No grayling, or anything for that matter, didnt spot anything under or on the surface-but it was all about testing out the rod anyway.

Awesome rod and hard to believe it is glass!!! Powerful and accurate is an understatement.

Hopefully the pics will attach ok.

Cheers
Grant :z18

Grant Montgomery

Re: My new 476 epic
« Reply #1 on: 27/02/2016 at 16:43 »
And the rod!! :z16

Andrew Ellis

« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2016 at 16:07 »
Awesome rod indeed! Love mine so much I asked Sandy to build me a second one  :oops.  Powerful and accurate but has wonderful finesse and bags of feel with fish on, just a joy to fish. I've a few rods but invariably pick the 476 up when going fishing, even when it might not be the most sensible 'first choice', because it's just so much fun and gives me that extra bit of pleasure in use.

What line are you using Grant? I've found the Small Stream an excellent combination with it.

Andrew

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 09/04/2016 at 18:35 »
Sandy didn't build my 476 but i love it all the same !  :z4

- Barrio SmallStream in 3 or 4 matches it perfectly. its my prefered line for dries or unweighted nymphs and spiders.
- a SLX 4 is on the other spool for bigger flies or when there's a need for more rolls/Speys than areial casts or when there's more wind than usual.

as a sidenote, this rod does really well with a 5wt for lightish streamers or windstorms  :wink

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2016 at 19:07 »
Two 476's?!! That is just plain greedy lol.

Yeah it is a stonking rod, absolutely laser sharp and never feels wimpy in any way, given it's obvious shortness, flex and line weight. I was quite shocked how it casts and feels as I hadnt cast a glass rod in almost 30 years!

Im using a smallstream wf4 and feel that it is ideal. I reckon you could go up or down a size but I think the ss wf4 is bang on a match for it.

I see epic are now doing there own fly lines, so I assume they would be an ideal choice also although once you factor in shipping costs etc a lot more expensive.

On a side note, seeing all you guys on The Don and Deveron catching these big trophy browns is making me very jealous, not seen anything like these in my rivers down here (yet) this season!!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 09/04/2016 at 19:43 »
Grant,

I have the 376 that Sandy built for me. I intend to use it on some small burns when I move back home from Dubai shortly. I used it once when on holiday last year and I was amazed at what you can do with a glass rod these days. I caught some small brownies up to around 12 ounces and boy was it fun.

once you slow and smooth out the casting stroke these things are a joy to fish with.

Eddie. :z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #6 on: 09/04/2016 at 20:48 »
I have the little one 376 and the beast 686. Both built by Sandy and I love them! Smooth, accurate and they can take a beating!  What's not to like?

Only problem is I now want to complete the set with the 476 and 580!  :X1

I never thought I'd get on with glass as I love fast  actioned carbon but there's something about them. They just work for me!  :z16

Liam

Andrew Ellis

« Reply #7 on: 09/04/2016 at 22:40 »
Buying a second was a moment of madness Grant, but now I have a second one to lend friends and make them smile too (it was really a backup in case the unthinkable happened :shock). I've not fished my 376 yet (for more than roach anyway) so looking forward to that. 580 is fabulous, but the 476 just calls to me every time, it's a very special rod. Interesting re line weights, I was using a Mallard #5 on it the other day in a wind, worked a treat, I've not felt the need to try underlining it.

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #8 on: 10/04/2016 at 17:54 »
Hi

Bit of a problem!

Got the bottom and mid section stuck fast after a day on the water today. Tried all the usual options and it aint budging. I dont want to bully it too much

Any tips?

Thanks
Grant

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 10/04/2016 at 18:28 »
Try running hot water over the joint and then twist.

Eddie.

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #10 on: 11/04/2016 at 14:59 »
Oh dear,

tried the 2 man technique and still no luck!

Its the translucent blank I have and I can see there is water trapped between the male and female ferrules. I think that's maybe what has caused it to jam tight?

I doubt it will come apart unless the film of water eventually evaporates.

Bummer!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 11/04/2016 at 17:23 »
unusual :z6 not seen that before on an Epic, they are not sealed sections so there should be no airlock.
I'd go for for the hot water approach, i've used it before on Carbon.
Might be a bit of grit stuck in it.
if it stays Stuck, drop Carl an email and see if he has any ideas :z16

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #12 on: 11/04/2016 at 18:11 »
and/or try the two-man again using rubber pads for extra grip. you could use an old inner-tube or somewhat.
i have a set of arrow-pullers from my archery days that always do the trick no matter how stuck any rod can be.

with that in mind, if you have an archery shop near you i'm sure they wouldn't mind helping  :wink

good luck !

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #13 on: 11/04/2016 at 20:36 »
Thanks guys,

It was all rather bizarre and comedy. I backcast and the top 2 sections flew off and went in the river! So although I tipped the sections down to let any water out before rejoining there was some inevitable residual wetness on the joint.

I dont remember forcing the sections together again so im thinking its the water that has caused it.

Will keep trying and hoping!

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #14 on: 24/04/2016 at 16:33 »
Believe it or not, this still hasn't budged!

My last resort will be to try to use a pair of arrow pullers as suggested, otherwise it will just have to stay as is and get stowed between the car seats when going to the river.

Maybe it might just work its way off through time

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com