Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tony Considine

C de C
« on: 25/02/2016 at 14:55 »
I have decided to do more river fly fishing this season. I have never used C de C and thought I should be trying it.This winter I collected feathers off mallards but they are not very big. Looking at videos on the net they show the same feather being used for the tail,the body,and then looped for wings. Where are these long feathers from? Are they off farmyard ducks which are obviously much bigger than mallards?
Using the feathers I have,I tied off one for the tail,wound this on for the body,added a gold rib,then added extra feathers for wing bunches. What I got was a  slate grey fly that looked sort of ok,maybe passable as a dark olive?
Am I on the right lines? Maybe someone with more experience could comment. Any info. welcome.

Rob Brownfield

Re: C de C
« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2016 at 15:58 »
Normally the fly is dressed with a heavy wing which will have it sit dangling in the surface film, or with a sparse hackle on a nymph.

Tony Considine

« Reply #2 on: 25/02/2016 at 17:02 »
Thanks Rob & Marc, but which ducks do you get the best feathers from ?

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 25/02/2016 at 17:40 »
you're welcome. wild ducks, it's in the article  :X1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2016 at 08:05 »
Thanks Rob & Marc, but which ducks do you get the best feathers from ?

I get them from the "Orvis" duck :) I don't fancy digging around a ducks bum for feathers lol

Tony Considine

« Reply #5 on: 26/02/2016 at 08:50 »
Thanks  Rob,
                     It looks like it's the Orvis duck for me too, 'cos the feathers I got from mallards are not so good.You're not digging round the ducks bum,the gland is on top,just forward of the tail,but having tried several mallards,the feathers I got were all the same,quite short and not very easy to use.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 29/02/2016 at 08:13 »
Thanks  Rob,
                     It looks like it's the Orvis duck for me too, 'cos the feathers I got from mallards are not so good.You're not digging round the ducks bum,the gland is on top,just forward of the tail,but having tried several mallards,the feathers I got were all the same,quite short and not very easy to use.

Close enough to its bum for my liking lol. (ps, I was being facetious..lol )

Tony Considine

« Reply #7 on: 02/03/2016 at 08:44 »
Thought you were! It is good to source your own materials if possible,and you definitely know what you're getting.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Cheers, t.c.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com