Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Mullet anyone?
« on: 24/10/2007 at 21:31 »
Hi folks :cool:

Just back from Tenerife, where as usual I had great fun watching the huge mullet in the marinas. There are always plenty of folk ( many very obviously anglers ) watching them too and feeding them bread etc :z15

Somebody, one of these days, might just come up with the idea of leasing a marina that has become unsuitable for boats for some reason ........ possibly using the jetties as casting platforms and hiring out fly rods ....... would you want to have a go? I know I would :z17

Just a thought
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: Mullet anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 25/10/2007 at 08:17 »
Oh yes!!!!

My plan for next summer is to go Mullet and Bass hunting off of the Irish or Cornwall/devon coast. Any fish that can be 2 pounds in weight and strip a fly line to the backing is a fish for me !!

I have my Bass falready tied and i am looking for some good Mullet flies. The Maggot fly is meant to be good, but not sure what else they will take.

Kev Danby

« Reply #2 on: 25/10/2007 at 10:38 »
Rob you probably know these but have you been on the UKSWFF forum there a stack of info about mullet and bass. the UK saltwater flies website is also worth a look I've ordered tying materials and Austen has always provided a good service via the phone or website. 

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 26/10/2007 at 10:42 »
Know a guy who fishes for Mullet in Dorset, uses a baby doll (remember them  :!) with a plastazote back so it floats. Uses bread to entice the fish up.......  :wink

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 26/10/2007 at 22:20 »
Hi Mike,
           Yes, I knew that you would enjoy that !! I don't know about two pounds some of the mullet at Los Gigantes looked to be touching double figures. I took some video stuff of them being fed , by me, with the leftovers from the week's bread and rolls , the noise of those fish trying to suck down the crusts was unbelievable . I'll try and find that and stick it on. Also the way the bigger fish just swam on top of the smaller ones , spread out their pectorals and just used them to support themselves.

It's a real pity that fishing in the inner harbours in Spain and the Canaries is illegal , and actively policed as well. That , (outer) harbour also has a large population of large triggerfish which I,ve caught at night over the upturned boat. Also the outer wall is a favourite local mark for stingrays at night, aye up to 200 pounds landed , bigger lost . It may also interest you to know that it is also the haunt of the occasional very large Hammerhead !!

When are you thinking of buying a disused harbour ? , let me know  :z7 :z7 :z7.

Paul.

Tam Greenock

« Reply #5 on: 27/10/2007 at 12:08 »
We were in Tenerife (Las Americas) last year and saw folk fishing just off the rocks near a restuarant called The Castle. will look closer the next time

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 29/10/2007 at 16:06 »
Rob you probably know these but have you been on the UKSWFF forum there a stack of info about mullet and bass. the UK saltwater flies website is also worth a look I've ordered tying materials and Austen has always provided a good service via the phone or website. 

Kev, yip, I do, have bought a few bits and bobs from them.

I have heard of a couple of places up here that have both Mullet and Bass that are within casting distance, but I think its going to be a difficult challenge. Nothing big, but fish all the same :) Fancy a trip? My last go at Bass ended up with me landing a Cod on the fly from the shore!!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 29/10/2007 at 17:26 »
I like fishing for Mullets at Haddo :z16

They rise nicely and rarely refuse any decent lure :z4

Sandy

Kev Danby

« Reply #8 on: 30/10/2007 at 08:37 »
Hi Rob, Yes I would be up for a salty excursion I had a few small pollack on the West coast this year, when did you have in mind I can make 9/10 Nov or 15/16 Nov.

Any particular flies required?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 01/11/2007 at 15:22 »
Hi Rob, Yes I would be up for a salty excursion I had a few small pollack on the West coast this year, when did you have in mind I can make 9/10 Nov or 15/16 Nov.

Any particular flies required?

I was thinking more of next summer..but i guess there will be Pollock about...or a trip to Toreness might be in order.

Kev Danby

« Reply #10 on: 02/11/2007 at 08:22 »
I did wonder, summer does sounds a better proposition.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 02/11/2007 at 08:30 »
Kev,
We could always do a night tide at Bervie, a force 5 easterly bringing in the cod..you only need a cast of 20 yards!!!! If you can stand up against the wind that is :)

Having said that, its 18 degrees today, I am sure there will be something off the rocks. I was reading up about fly fishing for Wrasse last night...interesting

Kev Danby

« Reply #12 on: 02/11/2007 at 12:10 »
A night tide at Bervie a force 5 and a twenty yard cast are you standing opposite the chipper?

Ive had some good wrasse on float fished rag they would give a good account of themselves on the fly i guess crab/shrimp imitations would be needed.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #13 on: 03/11/2007 at 00:36 »
Kev,
        "i guess crab/shrimp imitations would be needed. "

Yes, and perhaps a six ounce lead .

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com