Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stewart Weston

Floating
« on: 19/02/2016 at 19:33 »
Hi, your valued help please,
This OAP is looking for a tried trusted floating set-up, all recommendations and reasons would be most appreciated, there are way to many new generation, graphite, carbon, profiles and tapers for this old grey to comprehend .  I mainly boat fish on still waters.
I was looking at a Hardy sintrix jet 9.6" maybe 7wt coupled with a Rio in touch grand also 7wt. I don't believe all I read, so your experienced help will be gratefully received - thank you
Cheers
Stu

Derek Roxborough

Re: Floating
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2016 at 19:44 »
Hi weginton for an OAP you have too much money to burn,, look at the Shakespear Agility series of rods that will give you loadsa dosh to spend on a line, I have a 5 wt. home  built on one of Sandys Blanks, I boat fish but I only use Intermediate lines, but a good floater is the  Cortland Sylk in whatever weight suits it is the only floater I have, and it got a good write up  :z4 easgach 1

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2016 at 20:48 »
Pop into Orvis at Banchory and talk to Ben or Dave. They will see you right and the after sales service is second to none!  :z16

:z18

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2016 at 14:35 »
 why not try a Barrio line , Mike will see you right , :z12 easgach 1

Ian Bell

Re: Floating New
« Reply #4 on: 13/04/2016 at 14:00 »
I have that exact rod, Hardy Jet 9'6" #7.  Highly recommend it! The best I've owned/used!
I use it mainly for sea trout in river, not sitting in a boat!  :z4
When I got it I tried it with a Barrio slx #8 float, that I already had... worked very well, but felt a wee bit heavy when overhead casting. So I bought another Barrio slx floater in a 7 weight... felt just right! However because I sometimes put on a slow sink polyleader, I think I'm going to order a Mallard sink tip to try... just for something different!
I did look at a Rio intouch, but the Perception not the Grand. Maybe another time.
PS. I'm a year off retiring, so I say go for it, treat yourself and enjoy whatever you get!
Sorry, didn't notice the original post date... only two months late wi reply  :X2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com