Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: 78 pages of future red tape
« Reply #15 on: 19/02/2016 at 15:53 »
The riparian owners could be bought out? ........ on an extended payment plan funded by the licence system.

Those currently employed as ghillies and bailiffs could be offered two choices of employment by the government, firstly as the policing officers, secondly as fishing guides for visitors/tourists on a national guide programme, who could be booked via the government fisheries website or somewhere like the Visit Scotland website.

Improved conservation control, no job losses ( possibly more job opportunities ) and a better system for tourism ....... How's that for a simple radical solution? :z4

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #16 on: 19/02/2016 at 19:36 »
 are you wearing those  rose tinted specs of yours, Mike? I cant see this Scottish Government  putting out a CPO for all the fishing/ Land , people have been campaigning for years to get Scotland to own its own land, it goes back to 7:84, and with out a serious change of Government it aint going to happen, nice thought though , :z12 easgach 1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 19/02/2016 at 19:57 »
Nothing wrong with rose tinted specs  :z12

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 19/02/2016 at 21:04 »
Indeed, nice spot of rose tinted thinking there Mr B  :z12
Too many complications for much of Scotland, but that doesn't mean that some fishings couldn't be managed on the New Zealand model.......

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #19 on: 20/02/2016 at 14:33 »
and can you actually see that Hamish?, This is in the hands of people who know nothing about angling and I have little faith that they will get it right, what ever that right will be, I am a pessimist so I am never disappointed   :z18 easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 20/02/2016 at 15:15 »
and can you actually see that Hamish?, This is in the hands of people who know nothing about angling and I have little faith that they will get it right, what ever that right will be, I am a pessimist so I am never disappointed   :z18 easgach 1

Funnily enough I am often considered by work colleagues to be a pessimist (I prefer realist :wink) but as I am an angler I must, clearly, be an optimist so yes - whilst I am not naive enough to believe the NZ model would work for all of the fishing in Scotland - I could see a scheme where some of our non-migratory fishings might be managed in a way which we are currently not using in the UK.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #21 on: 20/02/2016 at 19:53 »
I would like to see that but I'll not hold my breath, I have fished for over 70 years and I am still a pessimist,as I said I am never disappointed   :X2  easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 22/02/2016 at 09:37 »
You can't beat the system in place in New Zealand in my humble opinion :z8

You pay the government for an annual fishing licence, there are strict rules in place to protect the fish and the environment and the government employs people to police those rules.

No beats, no exclusive waters, you simply pay for your annual licence and go fishing.

Would it not be fair to say that New Zealand is blessed with a small population and thousands and thousands of miles of shoreline (be it river, or lake)?

4.5 million on 268, 021 kilometers squared of land

Scotland is 6m on 78, 387 km squared...plus an attached neighbor who can opo over and fish without taking flights or ships :)

We just have too many people fishing for such a system to work...I think...along with centralized populations. Imagine the pressure on the Clyde, Tay and Forth for example.

But a really really nice idea :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 22/02/2016 at 09:56 »
But a very similar system works in Spain Rob :wink

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #24 on: 22/02/2016 at 10:00 »
You can't beat the system in place in New Zealand in my humble opinion :z8

You pay the government for an annual fishing licence, there are strict rules in place to protect the fish and the environment and the government employs people to police those rules.

No beats, no exclusive waters, you simply pay for your annual licence and go fishing.

most of France is like this and it works very well.  i pay 95€ for an annual license that allows me to fish +/- the whole southern half of the country 365 days a year. (within specific open/closed species reproduction times of course but coarse fish is always open)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 22/02/2016 at 11:14 »
But a very similar system works in Spain Rob :wink

Ahhhhh, but they speak funny and do not queue at bus stops ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 22/02/2016 at 11:20 »
Funny enough, you are all alluding to a system that is already in operation in the UK, a Rod licence :)

An EA rod licence gives anglers access to a huge number of free fisheries in England and Wales. Some of the money than goes back into re-stocking these free canals, rivers and lakes.

Of course, it does not give access to "owned" fisheries where an additional permit is required.

Colin Sunley

« Reply #27 on: 22/02/2016 at 12:57 »
I cant think of a single fishery that is free in the Aberdeen area or Grampian for that matter. 

Am confused a little here, So Scotland will eventually be pulled in line with the rest of the UK and Euro with the introduction of a Rod Licence ? So the bases of the Rod licence for the rest of the UK is to open up free fishing in areas where it exists and some of this money goes back to the fisheries ?  ye ??
Only place that I think free fishing exists in Scotland is Orkney.

Rod Licence £70
ADAA £210
Local Roaming £232  2016 only,  2017 TBA as the council are letting go, 
Day trips on the Dee £50 average,  Day trips on the Don £35 average,
New gear £200 average spent

That a hell of a lot of dosh for one year,

With that kind of money I'll being looking to move to Orkney

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #28 on: 22/02/2016 at 13:22 »
Funny enough, you are all alluding to a system that is already in operation in the UK, a Rod licence :)

Of course, it does not give access to "owned" fisheries where an additional permit is required.

yes and no, Rob. 'owned fisheries' are extremely rare here. the only places i can think of are in Brittany and they're not really worth going to anyhow...  :z4
anyhow, in other words, if the spot looks good you stop and fish. period.
there are of course certain areas where fishing is forbiden but it's about fish management (wild nurseries etc) and  has nothing to do land ownership. this info is on a map everyone gets when they purchase their license and regs of this type are on waterside signs to make the boundaries clear.
it's a really good system  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #29 on: 22/02/2016 at 15:37 »
According to the bill there will be no rod licence , but a levy, all the things mentioned would be fine if the fishing wasn't in the hands of the 7% who own the land, 84% of it, the English rod licence pays for the Jobsworths who do the bailiff work, according to guys I know very little goes back into improving the fishing,  I would willingly pay for a rod licence , if the fishing was owned by the country,  it will be interesting to see how the levy works, I think that the biggest threat to migratory fish is fish farms and they should be made to pay for the protection of the salmon & seatrout  , rant over , :z18 easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com