Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Nathan Hutchison

Who does the best schlappen?
« on: 14/02/2016 at 20:00 »
I've been having a look round  the net for the last couple of days t#and have struggled to find an answer to this question.
Most places point to whiting but it's really not what I'm after..... I'm looking for wide webby feathers more like the feathers found of decent domestic saddles or the veniard stuff but of a better quality and value for money.

The strung stuff from hareline and wapsi on the funki website looks good but it's hard to tell from the single picture provided for each product.

So do any of you have an opinion on who does the best loose schlappen or, failing that, the best saddles that provide plenty of quality schlappen (not  the long thin stuff though!) ?

Thanks

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Who does the best schlappen?
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2016 at 03:20 »
Nathan,

have at look at Orvis. I have bought from the shop in Banchory and although I cannot remember which brand it was nit was decent quality, I used it for hackling tubes and salmon flies.

Eddie.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2016 at 08:28 »
Seconded.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2016 at 09:52 »
Nathan go to Orvis and make sure David finds out about it!! :z4 :z4

:z18

Silverstoat

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2016 at 09:34 »
I've used Nature's Spirit strung schlappen from Funky Flytying, a found it good for sea trout tubes and singles. I haven't used the Orvis branded feathers so can't compare the width or quality with NS feathers.

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #5 on: 12/07/2016 at 18:47 »
Check out feathers mc or amazon . Got some off of a costume feather designer. Can find the business card at the moment. I'll have a look for it after my spuds!

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 12/07/2016 at 19:33 »
Not exactly schlappen, but if you want soft and webby for salmon flies you can try Whiting hen saddles. Reasonable price (I got mine from Lakeland), and great colour selection.

Cheers

W.

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #7 on: 18/07/2016 at 09:02 »
Check out feathers mc or amazon . Got some off of a costume feather designer. Can find the business card at the moment. I'll have a look for it
after my spuds!

Just found the card-
Moonlightfeather.com

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com