Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Displaying flies
« on: 13/02/2016 at 08:12 »
I have been looking all over the desert for a piece of petrified wood to use as a display piece and drying rack for flies. While in Oman this week my wife goes and finds a piece for sale in a pet shop in Dubai. So 12 holes drilled later and here it is.

Mike Barrio

Re: Displaying flies
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2016 at 08:21 »
Nice :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2016 at 12:23 »
Lovely bit of wood Eddie, you should do some traditional Spey flies for that.
Me being me I still prefer whisky corks...... :z18

:z1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2016 at 14:53 »
Euan,

I just took random flies out of boxes for the picture. You are right it would look good with some fully dressed feather wing salmon flies. I might get round to doing some.

Eddie. :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2016 at 08:18 »
Looks fantastic Eddie.  Now you'll need to get a bit of Scottish Bog Oak same as I have, 2000 plus years old, wee bit of varnish and looks stunning.

That said the best place I've found fur ma flees is in ma flee box  :z4

Silverstoat

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2016 at 09:19 »
Nice job Eddie. I just bought myself something similar from Phil at Fly Tying Boutique, but it must have satisfying to make it yourself though.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 27/02/2016 at 10:17 »
Nice job Eddie. I just bought myself something similar from Phil at Fly Tying Boutique, but it must have satisfying to make it yourself though.

Welcome to the forum James :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 27/02/2016 at 16:49 »
Looks fantastic Eddie.  Now you'll need to get a bit of Scottish Bog Oak same as I have, 2000 plus years old, wee bit of varnish and looks stunning.

Allan,

now that I am moving back home I would love to get a piece of the wood like you have. I think it would deserve some classic feather wing traditional (old) Scottish salmon flies on single irons.

I quite fancy that as a wee project, I have not made any of them for a long time.

Eddie :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com