Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Degsy

Loch Insch
« on: 10/02/2016 at 08:44 »
Hello

I'm looking to buy Loch Insch Fishery.  Used to fish it a lot but seems to have declined unfortunately.

What would people be looking for to return to Loch Insch again if I take it on?

I used to have such great fishing there and want to get it back to its best.

Mike Barrio

Re: Loch Insch
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2016 at 09:00 »
Good morning Derek ...... Welcome to the forum :z16

I think you've answered your own question, get the fishery back to what it was when 'The Mairs' had it and 'people will come' :cool:

Concentrate on the three main lochs, the newest 4th one was never a success and should probably be filled in.

In the future, once you have things back to where they should be, I think there is huge potential in expanding the camp site :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Degsy

« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2016 at 09:40 »
Thanks Mike.  I looked at the 4th loch. Strange set up for fly fishing. High banks etc.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2016 at 10:34 »
Hi Derek  :z16

Welcome to the forum. Like Mike said make it like it was before.

Why not make the 4th pond into something different? I.e coarse fish, I think the closest place we have for coarse fish is glen of rothes.

:z18
Liam

Degsy

« Reply #4 on: 10/02/2016 at 11:08 »
Would there be much interest in coarse fishing?

What species?

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 10/02/2016 at 11:14 »
I say there would be yes! I used to work in Somers fishing tackle and we were always getting asked where the closest coarse venue was. Usually we pointed them to Rothes or the central region.

I would say Pike and Perch because I like their predatory nature but most would say carp, bream, roach etc....

Just a thought   :z16

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 10/02/2016 at 11:28 »
Would there be much interest in coarse fishing?

What species?

Degsy,
PM sent

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 10/02/2016 at 12:04 »
I would say Pike and Perch because I like their predatory nature but most would say carp, bream, roach etc....

No Pike and Perch...waters are too small for that, and I think it is currently illegal to stock Pike in Scotland, and we are surrounded by the best Pike and Perch wild fishing in the UK :)

Carp, most definitely yes, mixed coarse, Yes,  a real chance to start a commercial loch on the lines of Orchill or Magiscroft.

Kev Danby

« Reply #8 on: 10/02/2016 at 12:22 »
I would agree with Mike and Rob.

Concentrate on the three Lochs for trout and keep the stock density at the right levels (whatever they are?). I think Loch Insch suffered from letting the stock levels drop and numbers of anglers reduced. Although I did enjoy fishing with reduced anglers I had a few days with the whole place to myself.

Weed was also a big issue and a quite an undertaking to maintain three lochs to many anglers expectations (relatively weed free ). Insch also had a reputation for big fish but personally I'm happy with fish between 1.5 - 4lb especially if you take a couple.

Coarse fish for the other loch would be good alternative and Rob is spot on with species Carp/Tench/Ide/ Bream/Roach. I have seen perch and eels in the other lochs .

I dare say allowing tubing on one of the lochs might go down well.

Good Luck if you decide to pursue this. 

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 10/02/2016 at 22:05 »
Hi Degsy
Yes I do believe folk would fish it again , just reasonable stocking levels and keep on top of the weed. I think it's a bargain at the asking price.
Good luck if you do go ahead with it.

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 14/02/2016 at 16:00 »
Hi All,
Just like to agree with all that has been said .
Loch Insch used to be a great place and could easily be again.

Paul.

Dave Robb

« Reply #11 on: 14/02/2016 at 16:28 »
Was last out there a couple of years ago having not been for a few years prior to that.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  The current owners had really let the place go.  The weed was a joke and will be a massive undertaking.  I think a full drainage and digging out would be required judging by what I saw that day, albeit it was peak summer

Great place in its day, hugely popular with probably 60 plus anglers per day at the weekend.  Between that and the old Ythan Valley fishery, I would love to see both back on the scene.

Come to think of it, so many places hav closed in recent years or have gone to clubs.  Pitfour and Waulkmill come to mind.  Then there was the wee fishery at Newmachar which was always good for a few hours.

Passed the fishery at the Feuchside the other week, Mill of Strachan. It was drained so unsure if that's closed also.

So yeah, the market for a new fishery should be there given what used to be available.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 15/02/2016 at 09:08 »
Passed the fishery at the Feuchside the other week, Mill of Strachan. It was drained so unsure if that's closed also.

I think their bank was breached during the floods....several hundred Rainbows ended up in the Feugh/Dee.

Dave Robb

« Reply #13 on: 15/02/2016 at 14:47 »
There might be some fun to be had in the Feugh then if several hundred rainbows went in although not sure how long they would survive.

If only they would breed.

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #14 on: 21/03/2016 at 14:53 »
Anyone aware of what is going on at Loch Insch ?   Has the shop sold out yet ?

If I  had  the money it would be a good buy , even the  wife agreed with me . But she will not let me sell the house to raise  funds .

Anyone got spare cash to sponsor me  ?  You never know if you do not  ask ............ :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com