Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Deveron 2016
« Reply #45 on: 05/04/2016 at 21:11 »
Great stuff Sandy ....... awesome wee video too :z12

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #46 on: 05/04/2016 at 21:28 »
I couldn't resist the video, we must have covered 10-11 miles today looking for fish
and they were all like this, in small pods and almost all in a 100 yd stretch of the river.
Once i found them it was much creeping and crawling about, but they took that Plume Tip Dun very confidently :z16

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #47 on: 05/04/2016 at 22:21 »
Sandy,

as ever great pics and cracking report, another great day on the river. As  stated on my previous reply to Liam, jealous and cant wait to get home, just one small request, can you two leave some for the rest of us to chuck fluff at later in the season?

Eddie.  :z14 :z14

Allan Liddle

« Reply #48 on: 05/04/2016 at 22:37 »
The Deveron didn't produce much for me today. I know it did for some though!  :wink

After a morning spent walking and watching and not seeing very much I decided on a change of tactics. Back to the car and the 4wt Sage was swapped for the 3wt Epic. It was a day to explore the feeder stream which was running a lot clearer.

I had great fun during the afternoon  and there was a fantastic hatch of Olives around 3.30pm. The surface was honestly covered with them in places.

I lost count of the amount of 6-10" fish I caught.

I stopped taking pictures after those first two as the action was thick and fast!

Working my way up stream I spotted an unmistakable big fish. It was rising in that big fish type of water and was just rolling over the olives as they came by. I got him 2nd attempt and he was a beauty! Around 17" and 2lb in weight.

I'm counting it as a small stream trophy! I think any fish over 12" in a small stream is a great fish. I've plans to explore it some more in the coming months.  :z16

:z18

Nice fishing Liam and nice troots although small stream trophy?  Not from that stream it's not  :wink :z4 :z4 :z16 Good to see they were still keen as well after i rattled them on Saturday evening .

Fantastic stuff Sandy, thought the river would be out of sorts after the rain but that proved me wrong.  Have noticed the olives are smaller that normal for this time of year and i've already switched from DHE to Dirty Duster with instant results.  Noticed also the lack of interest to MB's despite some good hatches.  And some notable changes to the river after the late winter floods.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #49 on: 06/04/2016 at 07:17 »
Have noticed the olives are smaller that normal for this time of year

We were discussing this on the Don on Saturday as well, the Olives definately seem to be smaller than usual, about a whole hook size? was wondering why that would be. The hatch between 2.30 and 3.30 was huge. :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #50 on: 06/04/2016 at 13:33 »
Normal for the Deveron for the size to drop as you head through late April into May as the LDO and OU numbers drop and Small Dark's become the fish's focus (then BWO's)
But noticed this year LDO's and OU's most certainly smaller and yes a hook size is about right.  Was also thinking this might be why the fish are (for the most part) ignoring the MB's on the Deveron despite decent hatches.

Although we had a milder winter we did experience big floods on the Deveron just prior to the start of the season with some large movements of gravel which is never good for invertebrates, but I'd have simply expected a bit of a delay in the hatches (which there has been) and not such a drop in the larger olive species (certainly in size).  No idea as to why, but I can confirm size 14's the way to go just now.  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #51 on: 11/04/2016 at 19:38 »
Despite plenty numbers Rod Benders had eluded me until today  :z16

DHE once again

3lb 10 1/2oz and 3lb 1 1/2oz  :z16 :z16 :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: 11/04/2016 at 19:47 »
So it was worth going out today then :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #53 on: 12/04/2016 at 04:21 »
Nice troots Allan.

Eddie. :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #54 on: 12/04/2016 at 18:22 »
A good few fish this afternoon, lots 10-12" best was 15", nothing huge but a lot of fun. Upstream wind on one side of the beat and a downstream wind on the other made things interesting. Water is clearing nicely and still dropping :z16

I did see one monster while i was out...........

But he was stuck on a rock as his wings had fallen off.

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #55 on: 12/04/2016 at 18:53 »
love the log pic Sandy, it even has a second head at its tail !  :z16 :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #56 on: 13/04/2016 at 18:12 »
There be monsters GOT coming soon, real dragons on there.  :z4 :z4

Anyway crackin report (and I think I know where you were  :wink).  Good to know river clearing nicely, was manky on Monday.
Bit of rain forecast for today apparently didn't come to much so if it stays good then might be interesting this weekend.  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #57 on: 20/04/2016 at 19:16 »
Bright sunshine and warmth today, made for a lovely day to be by the river :z16

Sporadic hatches all afternoon, brought some fish up, where they could pose for photo's and let the sun catch them nicely

Jurassic flies abound, some were very interested in another dinosaurs equipment

Unfortunately the trout didn't quite make jurassic proportions, but they did provide a lot of fun on the glass rod.

Mr B got his season off to a start as well, with the best two of the day :z14
All in a great day :z12

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #58 on: 20/04/2016 at 20:26 »
some were very interested in another dinosaur's equipment

Very good Sandy  :z4  :z4  :z4

Yes, it was certainly a nice day to be on the river ...... very enjoyable :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #59 on: 17/05/2016 at 21:34 »
Back on the big water today with a last minute flexi day off work.  Plenty Small Darks, a sprinkling of Yellow Mays and a few Black Gnats and plenty rising troots.  Landed over 25 with a good few nudging over the pound, no Rod Benders on show apart from one Silver Tourist that showed face a few times.

Rain forecast so might bring the bigger fish back on, roll on the weekend  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com