Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Deveron 2016
« Reply #30 on: 25/03/2016 at 19:10 »
Nice pics Sandy :z16

New beat for me today.
Started the day battling a Bar of Silver around the 12lb mark who took a liking to my olive quill jig, he eventually came off. After 12 it was dry fly time and I had a few 1-2lbers and a seatrout kelt. Finished the day on a high with an acrobatic 3lber.
Pretty good day considering conditions :z18

cheers Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 25/03/2016 at 19:19 »
Great stuff ..... and great photos Scott :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #32 on: 25/03/2016 at 19:23 »
Well done guys!  :z16

:cry :cry

Allan Liddle

« Reply #33 on: 29/03/2016 at 13:29 »
Great stuff guys  :z16

Managed a brief afternoon yesterday after dashing back up the road from Edinburgh.
Pleased to say olives were hatching and troots looking up (although would have expected more).  Anyway nailed plenty of them (every fish covered to be honest, most landed, couple lost couple missed).  No trophies (never saw one) and best a modest 14oz, but a start and plenty more to follow hopefully.

Nymph rod stayed in the car (where I belongs) and size 12 olive DHE the killer (proper fishing).  :wink

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #34 on: 29/03/2016 at 19:45 »
Managed to get a free pass on Saturday and figured I'd make the trek up the Deveron to see what all the fuss was about.

Had a thumping take early doors on a streamer that unfortunately came to nothing.

There was a small and brief hatch of olives around 2pm that saw a few troots looking up but nothing of any real notable size.

I did however manage to land 4 almost identical in proportions from one run which made the trip worth it.

Was great to get a day out chasing river  browns again and I sincerely hope I can get back up there towards the end of April/May as it definitely still feels a tad too early yet for me.

Cheers,

Steven.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #35 on: 04/04/2016 at 16:21 »
Starting to fish now although fish are reluctant to take March Browns for some reason (saw the same last year as well).

Good couple of hours yesterday with a dozen to about 1 1/2 lb, and half dozen late Saturday afternoon to 2lb 12oz.  All on DHE.

Magic  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 04/04/2016 at 19:09 »
Nice wee trip out today

When you got out of the wind there were some rising fish, picking off LDO's as they hatched. Late on though after 1.30pm

Perhaps LDO's are not as Olive as one might expect at the moment of hatching, this one was struggling out as i fished it out, I had hoped to get the photo with the shuck, but it shed it just as i lifted the fly.

Had the Cane rod out for its first outing of the season, once i relaxed into its rhythm we had good fun, i had  a few this kind of size 14-15"

Best of the day was another 19"er which was awesome fun on the Cane rod

Fish were hard to spot again, some of the rises were nothing more than dimples and those dimples were anything from 10" to 19". DIdn't see any March Browns today, just a reasonable number of olives hatching in small batches every 10-15 mins from 1.30 right through to 4pm.
Not sure what tomorrow will bring, i have everything crossed it doesn't rain too much in the Deveron catchment tonight.

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #37 on: 05/04/2016 at 04:15 »
Sandy,

nice wee report and cracking pics.

Eddie :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #38 on: 05/04/2016 at 19:29 »
The Deveron didn't produce much for me today. I know it did for some though!  :wink

After a morning spent walking and watching and not seeing very much I decided on a change of tactics. Back to the car and the 4wt Sage was swapped for the 3wt Epic. It was a day to explore the feeder stream which was running a lot clearer.

I had great fun during the afternoon  and there was a fantastic hatch of Olives around 3.30pm. The surface was honestly covered with them in places.

I lost count of the amount of 6-10" fish I caught.

I stopped taking pictures after those first two as the action was thick and fast!

Working my way up stream I spotted an unmistakable big fish. It was rising in that big fish type of water and was just rolling over the olives as they came by. I got him 2nd attempt and he was a beauty! Around 17" and 2lb in weight.

I'm counting it as a small stream trophy! I think any fish over 12" in a small stream is a great fish. I've plans to explore it some more in the coming months.  :z16

:z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #39 on: 05/04/2016 at 19:31 »
Damn photos going up th wrong way round!  :X1

Is it possible for one of the Moderators rotate them please?  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #40 on: 05/04/2016 at 19:37 »
Liam,

great report, I bet that was fun with the wee epic. Just what it was intended for.

Well done again, I am jealous, still no fixed date for coming home, hope it is soon so that I can join in the fun.

Eddie. :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #41 on: 05/04/2016 at 19:47 »
Sorry young bud, you need to rotate the pics before uploading, nothing we can do with them once they are up. :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #42 on: 05/04/2016 at 19:49 »
No worries Sandy they will just have to do then  :z4

Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #43 on: 05/04/2016 at 19:52 »
Eddie it was brilliant fun! It was bent double  :z16

:z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: 05/04/2016 at 20:40 »
As the young man attested too, it was a very strange day on the river.

when we arrived at 1015 the water was coloured although still with some visibility and about 8-10" higher than yesterday

As the day progressed the water kept rising and getting dirtier, i reckon it rose about 4" while we were fishing, it seemed to be starting to drop as we went home at 5pm

So we had rising, colouring water but a light breeze and overcast so the challenge began :z7
After yesterdays trek covering about 6-7 miles to find some rising fish, today i think we covered nearer 10miles.
Up and down the beat and nothing to be seen.
Come lunchtime there was the odd fly coming off and walking back up the beat provided a couple of rising fish.
nothing exciting but the area was a nice flat, about knee deep and the fish were about 12" so we kept going back up the stretches we expected to find some fish. a long walk to find just one rising fish tight in to the near bank.
But there were more flies appearing, this was about 1.30
So back off downstream to the bit i saw the fish earlier, my oppo disappeared up the tributary as you can read above.
come 2.30 the flies were coming thick and fast

the fish were in small pods tight against the bank and it became a matter of creeping about and trying a few flies.
This was the sight that brought lots of encouragement on a very difficult day.

A change to a more delicate dry, started to bring some fish

Lots of fish! mostly all around 12" but great fun and plenty of them all shades but some were really pretty

Then they started to get a bit bigger.

every other fish was 16" and i weighed them at 2lb and were happy to rise even in the dirtier water

This was the biggest as it disappeared back to its watery home

So courtesy of these little fellas providing the biggest hatch of the season

I had the best day of the season so far, even if it didn't show or provide any trophies. A day that looked to be lost turned out to be Fab but only in a very small section, but it seemed every fish in the river was there.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com