Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

oggy

Glasgow Angling Centre!!!!
« on: 23/10/2007 at 16:26 »
I sent back my rod (after breaking the tip) at the beginning of August, I was told it would take about four to six weeks for a replacement tip to come from supplier.  Ten weeks on and several phone calls later I'm still waiting.
They say that they are still waiting for the manufacturer to send a replacement and are unable to get a delivery date.
The last time I called they couldn't find any details of me even sending my rod! and had to wait for four hours to call me back.
I no longer order items from them via the Internet as they take about 4 weeks to deliver your order.
Has anyone else had any problems dealing with GAC or is it just me.

sharpie

Re: Glasgow Angling Centre!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2007 at 17:59 »
cant say i've had any problems but why did you send the rod back to them and not the manufacturers?

gunner100

« Reply #2 on: 23/10/2007 at 22:19 »
Sharpie,

I can understand why the rod was returned to GAC. In law when you purchase an article, your contract is with the person who supplied it, in this casethe retailer, GAC. Frequently the retailer will try to fob you off by referring you to the manufacturer. But at the end of the day, the supplier of the article is responsible for ensuring it is fit for purpose, not the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 24/10/2007 at 08:41 »
Many manufacturers do not carry spare parts these days, quoting that it costs them money to have stock sitting on the shelf, just in case. If a rod breaks they have to send back to the manufacturer in Chine, Korea or wherever for the part. They then wont ship it on its own, so you have to wait for a batch thats comming to the UK..and then you part is added to that load.

I know someone through the Pike Fly Fishing Association who has been waiting 7 months for a new butt section for a 10 weight.
Another has been waiting 4 months for a tip section of a supposed UK company rod.
I waited 2 days to have an Orvis replaced!!!! and that was because it was a special order. They were very appologetic and said normally it would have been next day.

I guess you pay your money..........

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 25/10/2007 at 08:15 »
This is a long story so i'll try to para-phrase. Bought a G Loomis IMX rod about 11 years ago - usual "original purchasers unconditional replacement warranty, etc." - about 2 years ago the tip section broke (boat partner suddenly recasting to a rising fish while I was casting - but he's a mate so, hay-ho) - Peter Cockwill no longer imports Loomis Rods so I went directly to Loomis in the States - approx. 3 months of one way e-mail and phone attemps resulted in not one reply - frustrated but resigned I got on with my life. 
Last year I was at the GAC and while speaking with one of the guys the conversation turned to rod manufacturers, so I told him my Loomis woes. He told me to send him the rod and he'd see what he could do although it could take a while. 3 Months later he phoned me and said that he had a replacement for me with the option to upgrade to a #6 GLX for an extra £100, so it's very hard for me to critisize them.
If for some reason anyone from G Loomis reads this then this is for you - "shove your warranty up yer a***!" AND I much prefer my 9'  5/6 Greys MII to your overpriced £600 GLX AND 2 piece rods are an old concept!!  but I'm not bitter

Ref. the mail order thing - I buy 99.9% of my fishing kit off of the Internet, using FMTC, Sportfish, GAC and  Fliesonline regularly, and I must admit that I'm getting very miffed with the time it takes to get kit from FMTC and GAC. I remember the days when I used to phone Sportfish before 3 pm and my kit was with me the following day. The last order from FMTC took exactly 14 days to arrive and GAC took 12 Days (for kit that was in stock - I always phone to verify). I think that in future I'm going to drive instead.  down                                                                                                                         

goosander

« Reply #5 on: 25/10/2007 at 18:10 »
Have delt with John Norris of Penrith for many years and have found them most times very good.
Bought a Cortland 444 line of them and could not get it to load the rod. Sent it back and after a bit of a disscussion they sent me a new line which certainly loads the rod.
G.A.C. is only half an hour from where i stay so i tend to just call in for anything.
Most of the stuff i purchase comes from the local tackle shop which in my view we should do our best to support then we would not have most of these problems.
Friends in the tackle trade tell me that most rods are made in China and cost as little as £3 each although some sell for several hundred pounds.

fishfingers

« Reply #6 on: 07/11/2007 at 21:54 »
had nightmares with that lot,its a long story and iv gota be at my work for 7.00am.look at it this way they wont be geting rich on my money. i now get all my gear for salmon and trout from jim mair at insch fishery,easy to deal with and does a good deal when you spend Xamount of money.if its not in stock he will order it for you.there is a wide selection of gear to choose from try it you wont be disappointed. :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 08/11/2007 at 15:05 »
I remember the days when I used to phone Sportfish before 3 pm and my kit was with me the following day.

It still does, all you have to do is Order from Sportfish :wink Or John Norris.
Lakeland and Celtic flycraft are pretty good too.

I dont mind waiting a couple of days but this Fortnight crap is pathetic.

I always ask Mike first these days at least if you're going to wait, you know when its going to arrive.

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: 08/11/2007 at 19:58 »

Hi can i just add another Yorkshire Game Angling next day.

www.yga.yorks.com

Henry      :z18.

Jay Scott

« Reply #9 on: 08/11/2007 at 21:44 »

I agree Jim has a good selection of gear and always happy to help. If he hasn't got what your after then he usually will have by the next time you go fishing. :z16

Jay

JIMBOB

« Reply #10 on: 09/11/2007 at 11:57 »
I ordered tubing for templedogs from GAC. Half the stuff wasn't in stock. Got it in dribs and drabs. Not sure even now if I got all the order.

I broke the tip section of my Shimano travel rod before I'd even used it. Took it back to Grahams in Inverness for them to order a new section. That was 2 months ago. Still waiting!! Manufacturers seem reluctant to supply replacement sections.

oggy

« Reply #11 on: 29/12/2007 at 15:44 »
I sent back my rod (after breaking the tip) at the beginning of August, I was told it would take about four to six weeks for a replacement tip to come from supplier.  Ten weeks on and several phone calls later I'm still waiting.
They say that they are still waiting for the manufacturer to send a replacement and are unable to get a delivery date.
The last time I called they couldn't find any details of me even sending my rod! and had to wait for four hours to call me back.
I no longer order items from them via the Internet as they take about 4 weeks to deliver your order.
Has anyone else had any problems dealing with GAC or is it just me.
It's now the end of December and I'm still waiting!
contacted them at the beginning of the month and asked them to contact manufacturer to give me a delivery date, they said thy would but still waiting for call.

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 29/12/2007 at 16:41 »
Hmmm - not good. Maybe I'm being blind but what sort of rod is it Oggy :? That might compound the issue  :z8

oggy

« Reply #13 on: 05/01/2008 at 15:14 »
Hmmm - not good. Maybe I'm being blind but what sort of rod is it Oggy :? That might compound the issue  :z8
The rod is a Scierra EDP 7# Fly Rod, hardly an unknown company!
Scierra no longer make this rod, but it has a lifetime guarantee, so you would think they would have replacement parts in stock. I have also tried to get a refund or replacement rod or discount on a new rod with no luck!

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 05/01/2008 at 17:03 »
Scierra should authorise GAC to provide an equivilant replacement from it's latest range to the original purchaser under a lifetime guarantee, GAC being "unhelpful" in this respect :?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com