Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #180 on: 22/06/2016 at 13:29 »
Anybody out, how did it go?

I’ve been out the last couple of evenings - it’s been dour. The few fish I've seen have been taking spinners, there’s been very little sedge.

Can’t complain though, spotted this nice fish which fell to a size 16 rusty spinner.

The water is still settling down after all the rain, think it will get better as we get closer to the weekend!

:z18
Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #181 on: 22/06/2016 at 14:08 »
Cracker Scott :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #182 on: 24/06/2016 at 10:38 »
Nice one Scotty!  :z16

:z18

« Reply #183 on: 26/06/2016 at 16:15 »
The 2016 UK Rivers International for river fishing is coming to the Aberdeenshire Don this year. The final is on the 24 June.

Any news on this event.

Kev Graham

« Reply #184 on: 26/06/2016 at 19:30 »
Well judging by some of the fish I`ve seen on here ......If Scott Cummings is fishing for Scotland.....then the trophy is ours   :z18

Alan Urquhart

« Reply #185 on: 26/06/2016 at 23:15 »
Scotland won with 48 fish followed by Wales with 44, England  with 38 and Ireland with 26

Barry Robertson

« Reply #186 on: 27/06/2016 at 00:17 »
http://www.sanacc.org.uk/2016-river-international.html

Follow the link to see all the catch details and figures from the Teams competing.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #187 on: 03/07/2016 at 11:02 »
Wish the weather would settle for a few days ............ :z6

Brian Johnstone

« Reply #188 on: 05/07/2016 at 20:32 »
From the end of the 2016 fishing season, Aberdeenshire Council are giving up the leases on the Salmon and Trout Fishings at Kintore.
Kintore Angling Club would like to take over the lease for these waters and retain them for the people of Kintore and have subsequently expressed this interest to the Council Fishings Committee.
They have in turn made a recommendation to the Area Committee that they offer the lease to a properly constituted Angling Club.
We currently have an agreement with the landowner to fish for Brown Trout on the left bank from sections 5 to opposite 13 and on the right bank sections opposite 1 to 13.  We currently have around 50 members registered for Brown Trout and we expect this to rise considerably as the salmon rights pass to us next year, as there is a large number of fishermen, still taking the council permit this year for salmon fishing.
To encourage younger generation interest in fishing, we allow members 15 years and under to fish for free and relax the rules regarding worm fishing etc. to make it more appealing to youngsters.
We are committed to promote the River Don at Kintore as an excellent Salmon and Brown Trout river and will offering season and daily permits for both next year.
We will of course be required to comply with the Don Fishery Board and Brown Trout Protection Order designed to conserve and improve stocks and all members are encouraged to release all fish caught.
We recently upgraded the fishing hut on the left bank and will do the others as required.
We are required as part of our application to show community benefit and carry out a community consultation on our plans to lease Common Good Property.
Can I ask for your support please.
Comments are requested in writing and placed on the forum or can addressed to:-
Neill Cameron      Chairman      cameronneill@rocketmail.com
Brian Johnstone    Secretary / Treasurer   brianjohnstone54@btinternet.com
Thank You

Simon Bruce

« Reply #189 on: 06/07/2016 at 09:14 »
The river has been real dour lately, not much happening at all nothing rising and the fish not willing to take anything, lots of walking the beats and trying lots of different methods with not very much to show for it. But things seem to be picking up a bit, last couple of trips out have noticed a few fish rising in the afternoons. Monday arrived at my favourite little stretch and the water was alive, i couldnt believe it there were some right stonkers of fish rising and leaping out the water and some within inches of the bank. It was hard to get your fly to them as soon as it touched the water it was being hit, quite a few fish in the 1/2lb to 1lb mark and the best of the day

Hopefully we start to see a bit more in the way of fish rising now  :z18

Simon

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #190 on: 06/07/2016 at 16:07 »
Out on Monday evening for a few hours of Switching for Sea Trout/Salmon. No fish but amazed at the amount of decent trout making their presence known. I did throw a few streamers at them, but it was never going to work as they were up top on the hatching beasties. All sorts of flies coming down, from tiny black or buff "gnats" through to inch long sedges skating across the river.

A few Salmon moved through around 9, followed by a display for a couple of sea trout, but no fish caught by me or the others on the pool.

James Craig

« Reply #191 on: 07/07/2016 at 10:54 »
I've also found the river very quiet lately - certainly in terms of fly life, although I have been fishing in the evenings.

I got out on Tuesday evening and there really wasn't a whole lot happening on the river. I was please to catch this guy on a caddis pupa nymph in some fast, deep water.

Later on I managed to snap my rod trying to stop the dog from chasing a rabbit...  :X1

Duncan McRae

« Reply #192 on: 11/07/2016 at 13:07 »
Guys

Landed a nice sea trout late on Friday night from a local middle beat.Unfortunately,no camera or weigh scales.
I did get an accurate length measurement of 26 inches and I would describe the fish as being 'normal'  girth.
I'm fairly certain that the fish was 6lb plus but how much more I don't know.
Is anyone aware of a sea trout length to weight calculator for local rivers as I can only find a couple for Welsh rivers?

Duncan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #193 on: 13/07/2016 at 08:07 »
Hooked a suicidal trout last night whilst swinging flies for Salmon. It had a 50p sized open ulcer on its left flank, about 3-5mm deep.

Unfortunately as I was sorting the camera to get a photo the thing jumped out the net!

Never seen anything like it in 43 years of fishing, rather nasty wound.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #194 on: 13/07/2016 at 11:06 »
Guys

Out last night at the same beat and couldn't believe my luck.Another sea trout at 26 inches in length.
Remembered to take my camera but not a great photo.Fish starting to colour a bit

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com