Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #77 on: 09/04/2016 at 18:30 »
Scott,

magnificent fish, well done. :z14 :z14

Eddie.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #78 on: 12/04/2016 at 07:49 »
At last, I finally caught what I was fishing for...a wee brownie of about a pound! I can retire happy now lol.

Streamers (woolly buggers), nothing, nymphs (GRHE, PT etc), nothing so decided to have a few practice casts with the dry to get my hand in again. Used one of Mikes GT lines that had not seen the light of day for a few years and started to remember what a lovely line it was.  Started to roll cast to an area mid river, when all of a sudden the fly (DHE) disappeared with a "slurp".

Amazed to have a fish take a dry in such a cold wind.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #79 on: 12/04/2016 at 08:20 »
decided to have a few practice casts with the dry to get my hand in again.

Now you get the idea :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #80 on: 12/04/2016 at 13:00 »
Now you get the idea :z16

Sandy

This is my version of the DHE ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #81 on: 12/04/2016 at 13:22 »
Doh  :z4

Simon Bruce

« Reply #82 on: 12/04/2016 at 21:23 »
Had a day out on my favourite little stretch of the river today, got out the car and there was quite a strong upstream wind but it did calm down for a bit. About an hour into my little adventure there was quite a hatch of olives coming off and out of the corner of my eye could see a good fish rising a little bit upstream and quite close into the bank, covered him a few times the wind was making it a bit tricky, then bang he took the fly and screamed off to the other bank started to get a hold of him then the dreaded moment, a quick shake of the head and he was off, could quite of possibly been the biggest trout i have ever hooked into. Carried on fishing away picking of a few little trout of about a pound. Was about to call it a day as the wind had picked up a fair bit, but thought i would give one more stretch a quick cast with the nymph a few casts in and as my nymph was just rising in the water the line went tight and i hooked another good fish, gave a fair scrap and a gentleman who was fishing downstream from me kindly netted the fish for me :z16 Best fish of the season so far for me

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #83 on: 13/04/2016 at 20:43 »
Interesting day today.

I tried a few beats and each one had different water clarity, in fact on a couple of them the water clarity was different depending on which side of the river you were on.
Lots of swallows and martens on the wing though, great to see the guys back, i guess the weather must be getting better :z5

Much wandering about, but when i stopped to eat a biscuit i became aware of a few fish feeding against the far bank. watching the for a while it appeared to be a pod with some pretty decent fish in it. Temptation got the better of me so i walked down until i found a spot i could wade across and then i fished from the opposite bank :z12

Quite a challenge to pick them off without spooking the rest, but they liked the scruffy olive again.

Average size was pretty impressive

We are so lucky having such a quality trout fishery on our doorstep

So hard work to find them again, but once on them, it was a great afternoon. Last one was picked off after a rise 12" from the bank on my way back to the car :wink

Water had dropped about 2" by the time i left, so fingers crossed there is no more rain tonight and tomorrow might be a decent day too :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #84 on: 13/04/2016 at 21:21 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Scott Cumming

« Reply #85 on: 14/04/2016 at 07:22 »
I managed out for an afternoon session earlier in the week. Not the best conditions with a fresh upstream wind. There were some olives showing between gusts, which was enough to bring a few trout to the surface. All the bigger trout fell to the dry although I did have several smaller fish before and after hatches on the nymph.

My best of the day was a good bit smaller than last weeks stonker but every bit as strong.
His stubborn resistance was enough to open my size 14 Daiichi 1160  :z8
A sturdy 4lb 12oz in the weigh net :z16

Cheers for the photo Lewis, nice pic :z16

:z18
Scott

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #86 on: 14/04/2016 at 07:45 »
I think i need a Lewis as well :z16

Did he spot it again? My spotter only spots girls and cars these days, but he'll grow out of that and remember whats important :z4

Great stuff Bud, fantastic condition again :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #87 on: 14/04/2016 at 08:37 »
Great stuff Scott :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #88 on: 14/04/2016 at 09:17 »
I also need a Lewis.  :z4

I think he will accept payment of video games and sweets in return for info on big fish locations  :z7 :wink :z4

:z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #89 on: 14/04/2016 at 12:45 »
I am just not seeing fish, let alone big fish! :(

Starting to think I am in the wrong bit of the river :(

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com