Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andrew Ashcroft

Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #15 on: 26/02/2016 at 15:38 »
The fish on opening day at Kemnay AC were confirmed as kelts but there have been 2 genuine springers caught further down so there are some about.

Knocky

« Reply #16 on: 27/02/2016 at 23:30 »
As a new member to the Adaa. I am checking out the beats. I was at the Dyce section at corks beat. A lot of water to learn about .   Hope everyone is having a good start to the season

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 29/02/2016 at 08:24 »
Out for a few hours on Friday on an ADAA beat.

First cast, lost fly, third cast, lost fly, fifth cast, THUMP...a fish...unfortunately it came adrift some 30 seconds or so later and judging by the thump thump thump, probably a kelt.

However, I did see several fish moving through the pool a few hours later and also a fair few trout rising, including several very good fish in the 3-4lb range.

I moved downstream and found two flies (boost!) at a well known bench. Both flies were tangled in the grass and both had very large trebles attached! When I say large, bigger than I use for Pike, I would say about size 4's! Both flies were 1" copper tubes and the hooks were way oversized for the fly.

I do hope they were not being used for foul play!  ???

The water was extremely clear and you could see the changes to the pools quite clearly. One bit I normally wade down at knee height was well above my waist and running very strongly...so please be careful when wading, a lot of changes have taken place.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #18 on: 07/03/2016 at 20:20 »
A wee kick sample today dislodged a handful of these chunky larvae (Ryac and Hydro I think). I also came across dozens of tiny agile darter nymphs, no idea of the species but some were almost translucent and about a size 20.

I didn't notice any olive flying around but I did see a lot of midge.

:z18
Liam

« Reply #19 on: 08/03/2016 at 09:53 »
Managed to battle through the fallen treeeeees to get a cast in the mill stream yesterday. A fair old struggle not sure if it is easier coming down from the black pot or heading in from the Raes either way is a nightmare.
I like a quick cast in the miller and it it sheltered if its blawing a gale but it badly needs the chainsaw at least 4 trees down now.

Since IAA are taking over next year a plan of action will be required to clean up the Miller and Maret .  A guess the lumber could be bagged and sold to raise funds for IAA.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #20 on: 08/03/2016 at 10:07 »
Good idea about selling the timber but I think Mitchells farm own the wood so presumably permission would have to be asked for.
Are IAA definitely  taking over the water next season?I haven't heard anything lately regarding this.

Duncan

« Reply #21 on: 08/03/2016 at 10:34 »
Good idea about selling the timber but I think Mitchells farm own the wood so presumably permission would have to be asked for.
Are IAA definitely  taking over the water next season?I haven't heard anything lately regarding this.

Duncan

Aye good point Duncan  it would be Mitchells timber.

As far as i know IAA will run the fishing next year mibees Mike can confirm this. I aint been a member of IAA for 30 years or something but will rejoin this year. Anybody who fishes the Burgh waters should join up this year so you can attend the next AGM and find out what the plans are and ask a few dozen questions.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 14/03/2016 at 08:02 »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....two fish lost!

One was a kelt, long and thin, that splashed on the surface for a bit with the typical thump thump fight, but the second fish may have been fresh. Fought differently, several long runs and when I got it on the surface, it looked nice and deep. Just as I was drawing it to me, the damn hook pinged out.

I lost a couple of fish last year on the same hooks, (Loop) so they have been binned and I am looking for a successor.

Hamish Young

« Reply #23 on: 14/03/2016 at 08:11 »

Bugger  :z6

I lost a couple of fish last year on the same hooks, (Loop) so they have been binned and I am looking for a successor.

Partridge Patriot Nordic - I use the singles and have had no issues at all.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 14/03/2016 at 08:40 »
Bugger  :z6

Partridge Patriot Nordic - I use the singles and have had no issues at all.

That's what I am switching too :)..if only they did an 8/0 :)

Mark Zhang

« Reply #25 on: 14/03/2016 at 11:34 »

One was a kelt, long and thin, that splashed on the surface for a bit with the typical thump thump fight, but the second fish may have been fresh. Fought differently, several long runs and when I got it on the surface, it looked nice and deep. Just as I was drawing it to me, the damn hook pinged out.

I have some Mustad classic double(size 4, 8, 10, 14). I'd like someone to give it a test. Please let me know if you want to have a go. Cheers.

Regards,

Mark

Iain Cameron

« Reply #26 on: 14/03/2016 at 13:55 »
Rob! It's not like you to start the season dropping a fish... unlucky

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #27 on: 14/03/2016 at 14:56 »
Rob! It's not like you to start the season dropping a fish... unlucky

That's 3 dropped so far!! Out again tomorrow on the way home from work...see if I cannot get one to stick!!

Out of interest, why is the Brown Trout Season for the ADAA waters different to the rest of the River Don?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 14/03/2016 at 16:13 »
Out of interest, why is the Brown Trout Season for the ADAA waters different to the rest of the River Don?

Since when?  I thought all the Don beats started on the 1st of April :z8

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #29 on: 14/03/2016 at 16:16 »
I've always wondered the same Rob?! I think it's because it keeps the trout bums out of the way of the salmon tofts  :z8 :X2

Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com