Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #45 on: 03/04/2016 at 19:10 »
I ventured out again today. Conditions weren't great in the morning but things turned out okay in the end. My usual 1-2 hours of nymphing in the morning didn't produce that much, a few dropped 1lb Trout and a Sea Trout of 1.5lb.

Same as yesterday I sat and ate something, changed line and fly and waited for the trout to rise. 1pm was again when the first flurry appeared and the hatch trickled off until 4pm. Pretty isolated in places so it was worth wandering and keeping your eyes peeled. I picked away at some nice fish on a Deadly Emerger pattern (special thanks mate  :z16) but kept on the move all the time.

My walking was rewarded when I came to a pool where several big noses were popping out  taking the upwings as they drifted past.  Most of the good fish were out of reach although I did have a 7-8lb salmon torpedo itself out the water at my emerger, I'm not sure if it went for the fly or was just coincidence.....  :z8

However there was one steady riser tight to my bank, on my hands and knees I crawled towards it and waited for him to show. He nailed the next two flies that past over him, paused and then took the next one. I covered him pitching the fly about 3 ft above his position, the drift was perfect - Gulp!!! I knew he was big but got a shock when he came out the water, holy s**t my knees were shaking and my heart was racing. After a good 10 min tussle I slid him into the net, let out a victory roar and had a few fist pumps!  :z4

A solid fish which I measured at around 23" although I have a couple of sources double checking that. Weight wise I have no idea but as you can see from the pictures it was chunky.

:z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #46 on: 03/04/2016 at 19:16 »
Well done young man, thats a well won fish :z16

Cracker :z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #47 on: 03/04/2016 at 19:21 »
Thanks Sandy  :z16

You pretty much put me onto it yesterday!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #48 on: 03/04/2016 at 19:59 »
Confirmed by 2 reliable sources at making 24" and being over 5lb!!  :z14

So thats a new PB for me!  :z18

Scott Cumming

« Reply #49 on: 03/04/2016 at 20:05 »
Cracker :z16 The hours spent at the river bank are certainly paying off....well done, you deserve it :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #50 on: 03/04/2016 at 20:16 »
Superb fish Liam! is that the monster Don Brownie you've been seeking?! Nice one  :z4

Liam Stephen

« Reply #51 on: 03/04/2016 at 20:17 »
I guess it is Iain yeah!  :z4  Although my goal for the year is a 6lber, I don't want to be greedy though  :X2

Iain Cameron

« Reply #52 on: 03/04/2016 at 20:21 »

I've had a couple of afternoons on the river this weekend. A few fish, some from lies that the flooding etched out.
Been interesting. Most have come to a size 14 emerger pattern, but today the fish were keyed into something smaller, and I dropped to a shiny-arsed size 18 emerger to tempt my first trophy 3lber of 2016:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #53 on: 03/04/2016 at 20:23 »
, but today the fish were keyed into something smaller, and I dropped to a shiny-arsed size 18 emerger

was it dark?

I'm pretty sure i watched some Iron blues hatching later in the afternoon yesterday and they were small. quite a lot of black gnats as well.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #54 on: 04/04/2016 at 04:15 »
Liam,

well done that is a belter you must be chuffed.

Iain,

that is a cracking fish as well.

Well done both of you.

Eddie. :z16 :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #55 on: 04/04/2016 at 07:40 »
I really am doing something wrong!!! I had a 5 pounder, but it was a Pike. All winter fishing for them, and not one, switch to trout, and I catch them!  :z8

Saw two fish rise, and that was it from 1.30 until about 7pm on Friday.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #56 on: 04/04/2016 at 07:53 »
Friday was really tough, Rob.
I only saw two rises all afternoon as well
The weekend was much better but even then the fish take a bit of spotting, we've mostly been finding them in Known lies and then waiting for them to show.
We still need a bit more sustained warmer weather to encourage things, but its still early doors another couple of weeks and things will hot up a bit more.

Well done on the Pike, not had one out of the river for years, brilliant to know there are still some there, used to catch Perch in some beats too, not seen one of those for years either :z8 Might have more to do with the change in tactics and style of fishing :cool:

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #57 on: 04/04/2016 at 08:23 »

Quote from: Sandy Nelson on Yesterday at 20:23:32
was it dark?
Naw, it was sunny...  :z12
Sorry... I squished a couple of upwings, and they were dark and small -  honestly can't say if they were Iron Blues, but given the very dark body, and that the trout were ignoring more obvious natural duns, it would be a reasonable guess.
I know I covered the 3lber well with a size 14 emerger, and he ignored it. I was standing just 2-3 rod lengths away, so I could see my fly drift passably well over its head. Ignored me, and there were two other smaller fish off to the side also blanking me. I *finally* stopped casting and had a look around, saw what was happening and changed the flee...

Iain Cameron

« Reply #58 on: 04/04/2016 at 08:26 »
Quote from: Rob on Today at 07:40:28Saw two fish rise, and that was it from 1.30 until about 7pm on Friday.
They were keeping their heids down to avoid that budgie thing you were throwing at them...

If you want to catch a trout, try salmon fishing :-)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #59 on: 04/04/2016 at 09:12 »
Quote from: Rob on Today at 07:40:28Saw two fish rise, and that was it from 1.30 until about 7pm on Friday.
They were keeping their heids down to avoid that budgie thing you were throwing at them...

If you want to catch a trout, try salmon fishing :-)

Already done that...have had a few Trout on Willie Gunns!

I might try fishing for Roach with maggots this week ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com