Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #225 on: 26/07/2016 at 15:50 »
That's a great trout Liam well done! 👍😀

Liam Stephen

« Reply #226 on: 26/07/2016 at 21:57 »
Thanks guys!  :z16

Here is the fly that continues to produce for me:

I carry a few more different bead colours but I'm not giving away all my secrets!

:z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #227 on: 01/08/2016 at 10:02 »

One for girth.

To put some real scale on that, those measuring wraps are set at 3" apart, so that really is some brute of a fish :z14

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #228 on: 01/08/2016 at 17:29 »
I must admit I thought my luck had changed after that belter. However normal service resumed today as I
dropped the two better fish I hooked!  :cry

One for the second time, so hopefully next time it will be third time lucky! I'd like to get a proper look at him, I reckon 3lb from what I've seen. The other was hooked in a bit of water I've never fished before.......  He was a fair old lump and in heavy water with a light rod I was never really in control. Both found the weed and were able to transfer my nymph from their mouth into the thick green stuff.

New rod tomorrow, my luck has to change again.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #229 on: 03/08/2016 at 21:34 »
Today I received my 580 around lunch time and headed for a beat I have only fished once before. I chose to fish the Duo and focused on the faster water.  From the off I picked up fish from all the seams as pockets I pitched the flies into. It was going to be a great day!

It was awesome sport and it gave me a good chance to really get a feel for the 580 and GT90 combo (Sandy fantastic job as always and Mike the line is magic).

I lost count of the fish I caught but the majority went from the usual 8-12", with a few pushing 15-16".

I was really enjoying exploring the new beat. I had kind of got into a rhythm of cast, track and move when my dry landed and disappeared...... I thought I had hit a rock or a patch of weed so gave it a yank.

The line sliced through the water and whatever was on the end was pissed off! The fish charged about deep and I had a bit of a job getting his head up. Then I saw him and my heart started racing. The rod was doubled over in the heavy flow and I was stuck with my stupid little net again.  I messed up netting him twice and was shitting my pants as I could see the fish was very lightly hooked.

It seemed my luck was back and what better way to christen the 580!

Guys buy an Orange rod they are big fish magnets!  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #230 on: 04/08/2016 at 00:16 »
Great stuff Liam ....... cracking fish! :z14

My day felt a bit more like jungle warfare as we battled our way along the banks ....... I'm getting old :z4
But a most enjoyable one in great company ..... and the DHE helped me find some spirited wee opponents :cool:

James Craig

« Reply #231 on: 04/08/2016 at 09:28 »
Liam,

Absolute belter of a fishing report.

"I messed up netting him twice and was shitting my pants as I could see the fish was very lightly hooked."

...had me laughing out loud at my desk. This line alone captures the spirit of why I go fishing....

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #232 on: 04/08/2016 at 09:44 »

This time those wraps are 4" apart :z16 Thumping fish :z14 well done young man. You are going to need a bigger net though :z7

I managed to find a couple of decent rising fish yesterday, (couldn't get into the nymphing thing, but i will keep trying)
The jungle warfare made things interesting, including (literally with the murky water) a leap of faith to net my best fish :shock

The bigger one i spooked first time, left him for half an hour and went back and hooked him, true to form i managed to drop him, provenance for not being out much of late :X1 Huge fun with an acrobatic display prior to throwing the hook.

The smaller one did the same but i managed to get him to the net

Bright orange rods rule :z12 and emerging sedges are very handy things to have :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #233 on: 04/08/2016 at 10:38 »
Yes, the 'bigger one' was a nice fish Sandy, it certainly took off in style :cool:

"The jungle warfare made things interesting, including (literally with the murky water) a leap of faith to net my best fish"

Love it, that leap of faith could so easily have gone very wrong if it had turned out to be shoulder deep! ..... and something that I learnt yesterday is that it might be a good idea to keep my fags in a top pocket in future :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #234 on: 12/08/2016 at 00:02 »
Couple of hours on the river with the GT90 #3 today ...... leaves everywhere, it's like Autumn already :z8

Headed back down this evening, but it just rained and rained ..... I should have quit while I was ahead :z4  :z4  :z4

I got a good soaking :z3 and stayed on till dark. No sign of any life on the water, or fish for that matter, just a brief spell of sedges in the last light.

James Craig

« Reply #235 on: 12/08/2016 at 10:44 »
I was out too last night on the upper reaches. The water was up and it didn't stop raining, but the temperature also hovered around 18 degrees for most of the evening so it was bearable. I was chasing salmon (unsuccessfully) but had lots of wee brownies. 

I'm  sure there were more fish about in the deeper pools, but I couldn't get down deep enough with the kit that I had...  :X1

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #236 on: 19/08/2016 at 21:01 »
Out this afternoon, not much rising, in fact very few and nothing over about 8" so i thought i'd give the  NZ style nymphing thing another go.

This time i managed to get it to work, picking some pockets with the tiny PT nymphs supplied by the very kind Mr S :z16

Had quite a few but this was the best one, 19"and over 3lb, this time i got him to the net (despite the weed, rocks and current) :z3 I spent a solid 2 hours working the water and had lots of small stuff but this one was the icing on the Cake.

I guess PT nymphs can no longer be called my Bogey fly :z16 Cheers Dude

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #237 on: 19/08/2016 at 22:44 »
Sandy  :z16

This made me smile!  :z4

Glad you gave it another try. Great fish and awesome pics.

PTN- the only nymph you need.  :wink

Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #238 on: 20/08/2016 at 10:18 »
Great stuff :z16 ........ Hmmm, maybe time to dig out a few spiders :z3

Cheers
Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #239 on: 20/08/2016 at 12:48 »
Go deeper Mike!  :wink

I've just placed an order for a whack of Tungsten. I'll put a handful of PTNs in the post once I get them.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com