Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #195 on: 13/07/2016 at 12:03 »
I’ve been out a handful of times over the last 2/3 weeks and found it tough going. Some evenings there’s been nothing to aim at. The sedge hatches have been very poor so far this year..... might be a result of the winter floods?? :z8

There was a 10 minute window last night when fish were surface feeding....
This was the best of the night which took a liking to my size 14 sedge.

It was nice to get something weighty on the end of my line again, hopefully things will pick up soon.... :z16

:z18
Scott

Liam Stephen

« Reply #196 on: 14/07/2016 at 08:10 »
First day back on the river for some time today!

Hoping for some reasonable action on the 376........

Report to follow  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #197 on: 15/07/2016 at 08:46 »
I managed to tag along yesterday for a couple of hours around lunchtime.

This guy was having a bit of success.

So was this one, with his Duo combo. The glass sure does bend, awesome fun, even watching it is exciting. That particular fish was about 12" and was followed by a slab, who obviously thought it might make an easy meal

I stuck with the dry and managed to pick off a couple of decent fish that were picking off what i thought were hatching olives. Not many rising but there were a few. We finally managed to catch one of the flies and it wasn't an olive but a Large Green Dun (the correct name). interesting fly like a cross between a March brown and an Olive

Not a common fly it seems,  but there were plenty on the river yesterday and the odd fish was nabbing them.
The Duo, out fished the dry, but it was nice to be out after a busy few weeks.

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #198 on: 15/07/2016 at 09:58 »
Nice to see Mr Liam has found his way back to the river :z4 :z4 :z4

Headed out for the last hour of light yesterday. It was a similar story to previous outings, 10-15 mins and it was over!

Spotted this fish on arrival and was lucky enough to hook him on my first cast of the evening....  :z16

another nice trout safely returned...

There were a few more fish moving but they were coming short to my offerings :z8 The trout were feeding just below the surface so different fly/approach might be required for my next visit

Scott

Duncan McRae

« Reply #199 on: 15/07/2016 at 11:10 »
Your trout look in great condition Scott.

Haven't had any diseased fish since the original outbreak so hopefully whatever it was has come and gone.

Duncan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #200 on: 15/07/2016 at 12:40 »
Your trout look in great condition Scott.

Haven't had any diseased fish since the original outbreak so hopefully whatever it was has come and gone.

Duncan

I reported a diseased fish on Tuesday. :(

Duncan McRae

« Reply #201 on: 15/07/2016 at 13:03 »
That's bad news Rob.

Bill Wood

« Reply #202 on: 16/07/2016 at 00:12 »
Whats an MB?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #203 on: 16/07/2016 at 10:08 »
HI Bill

I assume its my acronyms you are looking at, a bad habit  sorry. :X1.
MB's are March Browns
If you are looking at any others as well, this might help.
LDO's are large dark olives
SDO's are small dark olives
OU's are olive uprights
BWO's are Blue winged olives.
I don't think i use any others, but i if do just shout :z16

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #204 on: 16/07/2016 at 17:16 »
and here I was thinking it meant ManBits.....    :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #205 on: 18/07/2016 at 13:55 »
I've also known you to use the following Sandy when referring to what you are fishing with:

DHE; Deer Hair Emerger
DD; Dirty Duster
FBS; Farkin Big Streamer
SW; Squirmy Worm

:z4 :z4 :z4

Scott Cumming

« Reply #206 on: 19/07/2016 at 09:31 »
Conditions were near perfect yesterday, but the hatch/rise didn’t live up to expectations :z8 There was a small burst of sedge late on which brought some fish to the surface. The fish were refusing a size 14 but I managed to connect with some trout when i dropped down to a 16.... :z16

This bonny golden trout with bold markings was the smaller of the two fish but felt a good bit heavier during the fight, its strength was deceiving!

Things are still hard going but if you are willing to persevere it eventually comes good

Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #207 on: 19/07/2016 at 09:41 »
Great stuff Scott :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #208 on: 20/07/2016 at 11:06 »
Pretty dark out there just now ...... that's gonna give the rivers a flush :z3

Liam Stephen

« Reply #209 on: 20/07/2016 at 17:01 »
You're right there Mike...... Not a good day to forget your jacket, I was drenched!  :X1

The river was on the rise and had started to darken when I left.

The fishing was great though, it's been my first real enjoyable day in a while. Back to basics fishing the Duo again. I dropped a substantial fish 2nd cast on the nymph. I was a little disheartened but I knew it could only get better. A lot of fish to around 12" were keen on the drifting nymph and a few slashed at the dry.

Around 10am these guys started to hatch.

Did someone say 'Match the Hatch'!? :z7 :z4

The first proper fish of the day came from an unusual spot. A good 18" and very solid, some scarring on his nose which looked like it had been rubbed against rocks gravel. Probably foraging for bugs?

A short while later I connected with another lump. Again it took the nymph and gave me an awesome fight on the little 376!

This next photo turned out cool!

I'm off to re-stock  the box for next time.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com