Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #150 on: 10/05/2016 at 22:12 »
Nice one mate, you deserve it!  :z16

Big fly = big fish  :X2

:z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #151 on: 12/05/2016 at 18:18 »
Last day off today, back to work tomorrow :cry So i got my jobs done early and nipped out for a few hours.
Don't know where the clouds we were supposed to get went too, but it was another glorious day.

Finally the sunshine brought on a really good hatch of sedges and some small olives about 12, a small size 14 SHE tempted a couple up.

The sedge hatch started to turn into a mini blizzard of grannom and the trout, albeit no huge ones, decided, despite the sunshine that the sedges looked tasty

A change to a size 14 CDC and Elk really started to have an effect

This one still has a wee bit of weed stuck in the deer hair, the trout seemed to know where it was every time i hooked one!

Best of the afternoon pushed 15" and was about 1.75lb put up a great scrap

I finally managed to catch one of the sedges that had the trout rising, by standing in the river and letting it land on me

So if anyone is out over the next few days, watch out for a sedge hatch from 12-2 the size 14 CDC and Elk seemed to be spot on.

Have fun :z16

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #152 on: 17/05/2016 at 20:57 »
I tied up a few flies over the last few days to imitate the Emerging sedges, so this afternoon i got out for a couple of hours to give them a whirl.

The fish seemed to like them. this one was a lovely golden bellied fish

Plenty rising fish if you watched long enough, they were taking the sedges again and perhaps the Small dark olives that were hatching as well, some Larger OU's coming off and i think the fish that were feeding, were happy to take anything that looked like food, Again none of the big guys out to play, but some pretty decent fish were happy to take, this was the best of them.

The fly needs a bit of work yet, the fish really liked it, but they also wrecked them both, so i have to work on making it a bit more robust. I didn't get down till 2pm but there were fish rising when i arrived and they seemed to go off about 4, although there were still fish rising sporadically through till about 5.30.

Still not tried an evening yet, anyone else been out later on? is there anything happening on an evening yet?

Cheers

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #153 on: 17/05/2016 at 22:24 »
Still not tried an evening yet, anyone else been out later on? is there anything happening on an evening yet?

Been out a couple of times, still pretty quiet. Caught this one last week on the dry

Shouldn't be too much longer before the proper evening action starts...

Scott

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #154 on: 19/05/2016 at 20:26 »
Miserable day today, but the gloom brought a huge hatch of Iron Blues this afternoon

The trout keyed onto them from 1.30 through till 3

Lots of good fun on a very technical piece of water, hard work but well rewarded

After 3 there was a good hatch of LDO's as well as the first Yellow Mays i've seen, of the season

The same size 14 Scruffy olive plume tip covered both hatches  :z16

So battling the wind and getting soaked and cold was well worth the effort :z18

Sandy

James Craig

« Reply #155 on: 20/05/2016 at 11:00 »
I managed to get on the river for a few hours last night after work. There was a hatch of Yellow Mays starting as I arrived around 6pm and by the time I entered the first pool several fish were rising steadily. I spotted what I think were a few LDOs coming downstream too.

I tied on a s14 scruffy CDC olive tied with a yellow head (with thanks to those who posted about it under the Fly Tying section) and missed a fish on my first cast. I picked up a small brownie further through the pool until I spotted a fish making a bit of a song and dance underneath a gorse bush on the far bank. I floated the fly past it a number of times until it picked off a natural a few centimetres away from my fly  :shock. I had a rummage and found a similar fly that I tied up with light cahill thread and no dubbing - which did the trick and brought this guy to hand:

It's no monster, but I was really chuffed. The hatch slowed shortly after he was returned and I switched to a GRHE and picked up another small fish down stream.

I'm new to fly fishing and so I've still got a lot of the basics to learn, but it was a satisfying evening. Third time on the river and first time using dries which was great fun.

James

Mike Barrio

« Reply #156 on: 20/05/2016 at 11:03 »
Great stuff James :z16

Simon Bruce

« Reply #157 on: 21/05/2016 at 21:51 »
Decided to head out a bit earlier yesterday, was on the river at 7.30 and to my suprise there were quite a few decent fish rising, was set up with the Duo so decided to give it a bash before changing over to the dry fly. Had 3 fish in the first 45 mins smallest being about a pound, and this one just as the sun burst through the clouds and trees

By mid morning  there was a huge hatch and it seemed like the fish liked what they were seeing, fish rising in some very strange places and most of them a decent size

Had a 3 about this size and quite a few between the 1/2lb to 1lb mark. Wind picked up about 2.00 and was blowing downstream and kind of put an end to what started out as a cracking day

Simon

Mike Barrio

« Reply #158 on: 22/05/2016 at 01:06 »
Out on the water with Brian this evening, was a tad windy to start off with, but it turned out really nice :z16

Found a couple of pods of fish from 5.30-ish, but rises were sporadic and the fish picky. A wee shower around 8 seemed to produce clouds of wee sedges, we were literally covered in them.  Seemed like a few more fish were rising now, but we didn't crack it and were mostly met with refusals, although the odd fish would slash at our flies as they started to skate downstream.

Started the long walk back towards the car around 9 and found a nice pod of fish on the way.  Watched them for a few minutes and decided to have a go with a DHE ......... still found them somewhat picky to be honest ( I obviously wasn't doing something right )  but that last hour was great fun and produced a nice fish or two :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #159 on: 22/05/2016 at 19:49 »
Nothing exciting to talk about from the last couple of afternoons

Some short hatches of LDO's and uprights with Grannom and Iron blues sprinkled in, nothing to get the fish feeding steadily.

Some huge squadrons of Olive upright spinners

Don't think the fish were taking them in the afternoons, but may well be after them later on, or first thing in the morning, judging by the quantity, there have been some big hatches of uprights. Pretty looking flies.

Going to have make an effort to get out on an evening later this week :z3.

Sandy

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #160 on: 22/05/2016 at 19:57 »
Hi

I am meant to be on Kildrummy tomorrow but at Alford this evening the river was a bit high and a bit grey looking.

How long does it normally take to fine down a bit as it looked pretty bleak tonight.

My first time ever on the Don so hoping for the best!!

Cheers
Grant

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #161 on: 22/05/2016 at 21:03 »
Grant

If it is just rain from today it will be fining off tomorrow, TBH a bit of fresh water will do her no harm.
The river often fishes best when its the colour of tea.
I have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow.
The guys have been seeing a few fish rising after 9:30 at night as well, so always worth popping down again later on. :z18

Sandy

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #162 on: 22/05/2016 at 21:19 »
Thanks Sandy,

Im really looking forward to it, fish or no fish!

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Cheers
Grant :z16

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #163 on: 23/05/2016 at 19:36 »
First Don trout on the dry fly maybe about a pound and half. It was tough going out there today-really was 4 seasons in one day.

Got my first-next is a big one (hopefully).

Cheers
Grant

Mike Barrio

« Reply #164 on: 23/05/2016 at 19:44 »
Great stuff Grant :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com