Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2016
« Reply #105 on: 15/04/2016 at 20:53 »
Scott  :z16

As much as I like you I hate you right now!!

Well done mate another cracker in tough conditions. I know where you were  :wink :z7 :z4

Andrew Ellis

« Reply #106 on: 15/04/2016 at 21:54 »
What a fabulous fish to have christened your blend with Scott  :z16. An interesting brief, but we got there didn't we?  Now I've seen that fish I'm really tempted to start eating into the reserve stock. :X2

Soooooooo jealous of the quality of your fishing, as someone said earlier, 'who needs New Zealand'? Well done that man.

Scott Cumming

« Reply #107 on: 16/04/2016 at 20:00 »
Not much to report today....

There were a few of these showing but the fish weren't interested, can't blame them. I'm still thawing :z19

Took this pic in bright sunlight, kinda cool the way the fly glows :z12

Scott

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #108 on: 16/04/2016 at 20:05 »
Now thats an awesome photo.

Perhaps this IRN BRU thing is not just a fetish :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #109 on: 16/04/2016 at 20:09 »
Yes .... cracking photo Scott :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #110 on: 17/04/2016 at 15:19 »
Had a cheeky 3lber yesterday :-) despite the hailstones and vile wind and rain

Was walking the dug, saw a decent fish feeding... I had 30-45 mins to spare before heading into town... rushed home, grabbed rod (already set up and good to go), pulled on waders... back to river, scrambled into position, 2-3 casts, fish on. Jump, splash, net. Released it then home. Salmon anglers upstream must have been bemused as I arrived, cast, caught then left in less then 5 mins :-)

speed trouting at its best, and definitely the shortest, most efficient trip i've ever done!

Scott Cumming

« Reply #111 on: 18/04/2016 at 18:52 »

speed trouting at its best, and definitely the shortest, most efficient trip i've ever done!

Now that does sound like fun :z16 Where can I buy the Speed Trouting gear?? I remember a flash of blue and red winging its way upstream on Saturday :shock It must of been you :z4

Great stuff Iain, well done :z18

Scott

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #112 on: 18/04/2016 at 19:03 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4  :X1...

Liam Stephen

« Reply #113 on: 18/04/2016 at 20:45 »
Just got back from chucking some streamers. Water was perfect for it as well after the rain/snow melt!  :cool:

I arrived at 6pm and headed straight to the hotspot. My first cast was a bit of a balls up, shit turn over and a pile up of line.....  But as I starting stripping everything tightened and I was in!

Not a bad start:

My night was made at that but I carried on and nailed some more similar to above and 8 fish around 10", the flies were about half the size of them!  :z4

A nice way to spend a couple of hours in the evening.

On another note,  anyone considering a do it all Streamer rod should seriously look at the 686!

:z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #114 on: 19/04/2016 at 08:41 »

Quote from: Scott Cumming on Yesterday at 18:52:02
Now that does sound like fun :z16 Where can I buy the Speed Trouting gear?? I remember a flash of blue and red winging its way upstream on Saturday :shock It must of been you :z4
Great stuff Iain, well done :z18

Scott

I'm choking on my coffee here - that was hilarious! I might catch a quick trout, but you've been back in the big troot groove! nice
Saw a kingfisher twice this week - that's the real speed hero

Scott Cumming

« Reply #115 on: 19/04/2016 at 10:39 »
Saw a kingfisher twice this week - that's the real speed hero

I know exactly where that kingfisher nests  :shock The Caped Crusader has revealed his location :shock
I’m sure to spot the red and blue fisher hiding in the bushes next time I’m down that way.....  :z5

What does the C stand for?  :z8 oh yeh, yer surname, silly me  :z4 :z4 :z4

All good banter Iain, catch up again soon.... Good luck with yer next mission :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #116 on: 19/04/2016 at 19:21 »
Well in Typical Don fashion

The water was ideal, the weather was lovely but the Olives didn't want to hatch today :z8
There were March Browns and Sedges coming off and there was the odd fish feeding on the aforesaid flies.

The young Un put a nice a bend in the glass rod

While the spotter sat and took photo's  :X1, bonny fish though and well earned :z16

After a lot of rejections from a beastie i spent 3 hours on, several flies and no solid takes, eventually one fell to a large sedge :z16

Not the one i was after, but it rescued the blank :z16

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #117 on: 20/04/2016 at 07:37 »
Well in Typical Don fashion

No Olives? :z8 water temp dropped after the cold snap? I haven't been down to the river since weekend, hope things pick up soon. I like that Salsa rod Liam, told you the fish like orange :z16

Scott

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #118 on: 20/04/2016 at 07:41 »
At long last, a fish that put a bend in the rod! Typically I had left the camera at home so had to make to with a phone camera.

Walked the beat looking for fish and had seen one or two, but they were not really feeding, just the odd rise every 20 minutes or so. Just starting to walk back when a fish popped out mid river. It looked small but I thought I would have a cast in its general direction. Slurp, lift the rod, and everything went airbourne! She must have made 5 or 6 jumps in the first 15 seconds.

Anyway, fly was a home tied barbless DHE, size 14,  using a Barrio GT line and my trusty Orvis ZG.

Please excuse the quality of the photo.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #119 on: 20/04/2016 at 11:25 »
About time Rob, well done!  :z16

I was half expecting a big sale of all your fly gear.  :wink  :z7 :z4 

:z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com