Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Sunley

Sling Packs
« on: 03/02/2016 at 18:43 »
So T & S were doing an article on sling packs this month and got me interested in the functionality and practicality of the whole thing I like the product a lot,  but in T & S there did not seem to be much to offer in quality and at a low price, the Fishpond product came out in front but I was not about to pay £100 + quid of a back pack with a logo.
So off to ebay I went and I found this product
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151897886442?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It arrived today, an oh my god the quality of the product is outstanding, equal to any of the top branded names on review,
I would recommend the purchase if your in the market for getting one. comes from china little more then 5 days and its here,

Liam Stephen

Re: Sling Packs
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2016 at 18:47 »
Orvis do a nice one for 70 quid and Patagonia have one on sale at some online stores for 50. Both were on my xmas list and I got one of them  :z16

Looks pretty good for the money Colin good find there.

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 04/02/2016 at 08:35 »
I have the Orvis Safe Passage Guide sling pack. I think they were about £100 but I got mine in a sale last year and I think I paid about £60. Its bigger than normal packs.

I bought it for Pike and off the rocks for Pollock as I wanted something a bit bigger than the standard "Trout" slings. My fly boxes/wallets are much bigger than trout ones, plus it takes a flask, waterproof and all the bits and bobs I need for a day out.

The only unforeseen issue is that when I pull it round to the front to access "stuff", it rides quite low so if you are wading, it can get wet.

If I remember that flaw (never do) then its a great bit of kit that allows lots of freedom to double haul whilst providing plenty of storage for all your gear.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 04/02/2016 at 18:19 »
I don't go anywhere without my Orvis one, as a few of you noticed last year :z16

NO more waistcoats with bulging pockets of water bottles and sarnies.

Only downsides, are possibly more to do with my own general dimensions, is the strap at the front sits directly on top of the right buckle on my waders and if i have at-shirt on it pushes into my shoulder and gets annoying. Don't notice when i have a jacket on.
And my net sits at an angle in the clip when i have stuff like Sarnies and a jacket stuffed in the pack, but i do carry a biggish net and i suppose a tennis racket one would not be the same issue.

Still use it all the time, the waistcoat had started to give me shoulder burn when out for a day, not issues at all with the Pack :z16

Sandy

Colin Sunley

« Reply #4 on: 04/02/2016 at 18:28 »
I thought your sling pack was more a bum bag / man bag than sling but my grey matter is selective these days Sandy.
I never thought of that Rob will take care when wading don't want my tuna and pickle sarnies getting soggy.
Yet to put it into practice but expect it will have more use on trout than salmon for the stealth factor reasons.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 04/02/2016 at 20:59 »
Aye, Old age doesn't come on its own :z4 :z4

Very much a sling pack dude, with the forceps pocket at the front, bottom half is waterproof material, but like Rob i've managed to get it wet on occasion :X2 but then there has been other more pressing things to think about, so couldn't care less :z7

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 05/02/2016 at 10:50 »
The new Safe Passage slings are waterproof with water tight zips....feedback on the website must have been listened to. ;)

I have an airflow waistcoat thing with the built in back back that gets used for the trout and grayling, but I have started to throw the salmon stuff into the sling pack as well.

I have a safe Passage bum bag (I really cant call them fanny packs!!!), but that's always filling with water..lol

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 05/02/2016 at 10:58 »
Rob

My one is the new one (2015) and it is about half waterproof, the bottom section is covered with a rubberised coating, still gets wet when submerged a bit deeper though :z7

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 08/02/2016 at 08:11 »
Rob

My one is the new one (2015) and it is about half waterproof, the bottom section is covered with a rubberised coating, still gets wet when submerged a bit deeper though :z7

Sandy

Naturally, I had to go for a camo one!!! lol

I just have to learn that if I wade past my arse, I get a wet sling :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com